Chapter 48

ELIAS' POV

All three heads turn towards the voice. It the man who was here the last time I was here. I think his name is Fredrick.

So if he knows he's Grace's biological father, why didn't him or Janine tell her? Why did they keep it a secret? I'm interrupted from my thought when he begins to yell.

"Why would you tell Alani that Nick was her father? You know damn well I'm her father, Janine. What are you playing at"

Janine is frozen in place as her face pales from any and all color. She looks towards her feet before taking a deep breath and straightening her back before holding her head high. She looks between the three of us and I can see the fire spreading behind her eyes. She's furious.

Fredrick turns to Grace and offers her a small smile. "We were going to tell you last time you were here, but your mother said now was not the time. I thought she didn't want me to tell you, then I seen your boyfriend, and thought that was the reason. Now I know why she never wanted you to know. Why you kept putting it off all these years." He turns to Janine before his expression hardens. "This stops today, Janine. I don't know what game you are playing at, but it stops."

"You are to blame just like she is. You had eighteen years to tell me me the truth, Uncle Fred." Grace mocks "But you chose to go along with whatever bullshit she put in your head. If you really cared about me you would of been apart of my life."

"I'm sorry, Lani. I know no matter what I say or do it won't take away the pain. It won't justify the pain I have caused you. When you are ready to talk. you know where to find me." He looks down before looking up and giving her a sad smile before turning to me.

"You look just like your mother, son. I'm sorry for what Janine did to you. She had no right to slap you and drag you through this mess. I promise you, whatever her intentions are I will find out. Your mother was like a little sister to me after all. I owe it to her and your dad."

"Thank you, but my main concern is taking care of Grace. It doesn't matter to me what her mother says or thinks of me or my family. The only opinion that matters most is Grace's."

"Your mother and father raised you right. You're a good man and I'm glad to see you taking care of Lani. The way I should have." Her father looks at her before looking back to me and nods his head.

I smile at his compliment. My parents would be proud to hear that, and it makes me happy that I can make them proud.

Fredrick turns around and begins to have a heated discussion with Janine, who I almost forgot was still here. She's been so quiet and observing for the most part since Fredrick showed up.

I feel Grace begins to shiver in my arms, so I quickly get my jacket from the trunk of the car and put it over her shivering shoulder. I don't need catching a cold. "Is that better?" I whisper against her forehead as Fredrick and Janines argument becomes louder and louder.

"Yes. Thank you, babe." She wraps her arms around my waist and leans on me for comfort and warmth. "Can we go home now? I don't want to be here anymore. I just want to go to bed and sleep."

"We still need to talk about all this, Alani. This conversation is far from over."

I sigh biting my tongue. This woman is grating my damn nerves. Why is she against us being together? At first I thought she really believed it. That was until Fredrick stated otherwise. Now it leaves me to the conclusion that she either hates me or hates my mother or father. I'm thinking the latter, but the question still remains why?