Chapter 28

"Somebody answer that damn phone before I throw it against the wall!" Someone from somewhere in the house yells.

I squint my eyes to the alarm clock on the night stand and see that it's six-thirteen. Who would be calling this early on a Sunday morning? I groan before turning around and going back to sleep when the ringing continues.

"Babe, answer the phone." Elias groans as the throws the blanket over his head.

"Lani if you don't answer your phone..." Dimitri trails off.

My eyes snap open as I realize it's my phone that's been ringing for the past five minutes.

I grab the phone and answer it. "Hello?"

"About fucking time!" Dimitri yells. "Now go outside so we can sleep!"

"You can kiss my ass Dimitri and anyone else who has a problem with my phone ringing. I will whoop all y'all's asses. I really don't care if y'all are football players or not!" I fire back and Elias' husky laugh filters through the room.

"Alani Grace Davis, who are you yelling at?" My mother yells so loudly that I have to remove the phone from my ear.

Elias uncovers his messy head as he slowly peaks out from underneath the blanket and mouths "what the fuck" to me.

"It's not important, mother. I love you but why are you calling so early on a Sunday, oh yeah and you pissed off about twenty football players by calling this early." I yawn.

"Take the phone outside and you can talk all you want out there." Ted yells as he pounds on the wall.

"Don't start Ted because I'm still mad at you. All of you."

"Lani, why did you leave last night? I don't understand, sweetie."

Elias shakes his head while he covers his face in the pillow to stop from laughing.

"Really, mom? Maybe because, when I walked in you were on your knees... let's see... blowing Fredrick. Our neighbor. Who is married to one of your best friends by the way." I repeat for the tenth time.

The house irrupts in laughter and a few "oh damn" and "she can blow me anytime" comments.

"Damn, I thought I was dreaming that. To many beers will do that, I guess."

Elias' laughter erupts through the room and before I can shut him up, my mother hears and ask who's that.

"It's nobody, mom." I roll my eyes as Elias plays hurt. "Look, mom... I'll call you later. Preferably this afternoon. I love you! Bye." I hang up and glare at Elias.

"Really, Elias? You just had to laugh didn't you?"

"Sorry, babe. Let's go back to sleep." He grabs me and spoons me. "I love you."

"We love you too! Now shut the fuck up so we can sleep." Someone in the house yells and I giggle.

*********************************

Me: Are you awake?

I text Isabella as I get dressed and towel dry my hair.

Sista Mate 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩🙈🙉🙊: Thank fuck. I was getting bored, but yeah I'm up. Why?

Me: Meet me in the kitchen in 5 minutes.

I put my socks on and quietly walk downstairs.

I take out eggs, bacon, potatoes and beans, flour and begin to mix the pancake mix by the time Bella comes out with her hair in a wet bun.

"What are we doing?" She whispers as she starts to peel the potatoes.