Chapter 42

"Maybe you should announce our arrival when we enter." Elias whispers behind me.

"Good idea." I definitely don't need a repeat of what happened last time I was here. I cringe as the image appears in my head.

"Mom?" I immediately announce our arrival as soon as we enter the house.

"In the kitchen!" My mother's voice filters through my ears. Elias and I walk to the kitchen to see her pulling food out of the oven and placing it on the stove.

"What did you make to eat? I'm starving." I ask as Elias chuckles behind me. My mother looks up and looks at Elias before she looks at me and smiles.

"Ay, niña. You're always hungry." She pulls me in for a hug, in which I return before stepping aside and pulling Elias forward.

"Mom, this Is Elias, my boyfriend. Elias this is my mother, Janine." I introduce and watch as they both shake hands.

If Elias is nervous, he sure is good at hiding it. I watch as he offers his million dollar smile to my mother before stepping beside me and placing his hand on the small of my back.

"Well it is nice to finally meet you after all these months. Come you two. I made enchiladas." My mother excitedly says as she leads us to the dining room. "Everything is already set I just have to get the food and no mija, I don't need help. You just sit and relax."

I watch as my mother nervously rushes out. "This is not how my mother behaves. I think your good looks are making my mother nervous." I look at Elias to see him hiding in his laughter.

"I do have that effect on women." Elias whispers in my ear before kissing my temple. "I'm kidding. You do look just like your mother though."

"Everyone says that. It gets quite annoying after hearing it your whole life." I playfully roll my eyes as Elias pulls me in for a quick kiss.

"Okay... lunch is ready." My mother places the food in the middle of the table and I quickly begin to make a plate of enchiladas and rice for Elias, and since he doesn't like beans I skip giving him that before making myself a plate as my mother serves us sweet tea.

The only sound that could be heard is the sound of the forks scrapping the glass plate. I hate how awkward it has gotten. Before I can clear my throat and begin to make polite conversations, my mother does.

"So how long have you both been seeing each other and how did you meet?"

"Since the day I arrived and we met through Logan. He's Logan's best friend." I say before taking a bite of my Mexican rice. I stifle in a moan as the taste hits my tastebuds.

Elias looks at me and laughs before shaking his head. He knows how much I love food, especially now that I have a little human growing inside me.

As time passes by and we continue to make small talk, I notice Elias becomes more relaxed as well as my mother. I guess they both were real nervous. Why my mother would be nervous? I have no idea.

"Let me run into the kitchen and get the cake I made." My mother gets up and gathers our plates before heading to the kitchen.

"Where did you get your last name Davis from?" Elias whispers before taking a drink from his water.

I can understand his confusion. You don't see a lot of Mexicans with a last name of Davis. "She never remarried. My father is white and as you may see my mother is Mexican. He died in a car accident before I was born. I never got the chance to meet him.

"I'm sorry, baby." Elias pulls me in and kisses me. My mother chooses that time to walk in and clear her throat. We quickly separate and I smile at my mom.