Chapter 51

"What?" I breathe out as I look into the eyes of Bella. "No... She wouldn't. Why? Why would she do-do that?"

I feel Elias catch me as I stumble back a few steps. My mother killed Ian. She killed Elias brother. Why? Why would she do that?

"We don't know her reasons but from what we gathered, it seems it was intentional. I'm sorry for your loss." The officer who's name badge says Lopez offers to Elias.

Elias hasn't said a thing since finding out the truth and I'm scared. I'm scared he's going to lose it again.

I slowly turn in his arms. He's looking straight ahead, unmoving and unblinking. "Elias... say something." I plea while gently shaking him.

"I don't understand why she would do this? Why, Grace? Why would you're mother kill my brother?" His voice becomes lower the more he speaks. He's on the verge of breaking.

"I don't know. It doesn't make since to me either. She doesn't have a re-" I gasp as I'm hit with reality. "Ian was driving your car, Elias. Her target wasn't Elian-"

"It was me." Elias finishes my sentence before looking at Officer Lopez. "My brother was killed because of me? It should of been me instead of him. He's didn't deserve to die!" He yells as he stumbles away from me in horror. As if I'm the monster.

"E-Elias..." I reach out for him but he takes a quick step back. "I'm sorry for what my mom di-did."

This is going to ruin us. My mother meant to kill Elias and failed, but I think she might succeed in ruining our relationship. I feel a tear fall from my eye.

"No..." He mindlessly shakes his head. "I-I have to go. I'm sorry Lani, but I need time. This is all to much."

I watch as Elias takes off running in the opposite direction, before my body begins to shake with more tears. No. He's hurt, he's just acting on his feelings. He just lost his brother. He needs time. I tell myself before wiping my tears.

"Lani-" Bella begins to say before I cut her off. I don't need her pity right now. If I allow it I'll break down and cry and right now isn't the time for that.

"Her name is Janine Davis." I address Officer Lopez. I tell him everything I know and where to find her if she isn't home.

"I'm sorry about the situation you're in. Here is my card if you need anything and if we get any information regarding Mrs. Davis I will be sure to let you know as I am the leading officer on this case. Again I apologize and I hope things work out for you." Officer Lopez offers a kind smile before turning to Bella and Ben. "I appreciate your statements. If we have any further questions we'll be in touch with you two."

"Don't, Bella." I say once Officer Lopez leaves. "I'll see y'all later."

I need to get away. I can't stand pity and right now that is all I'm seeing.

I start to walk to my car when Logan grabs my arm and stops my fast movements. "You're not okay, Lan. It's okay to hurt you know?"

"Is it though?" I throw my hands in the air. "Because it doesn't feel like I have a right to feel anything but anger. MY mother killed Elian. My mother killed my boyfriends twin because she confused the two and now Elias lost the only family he has left!" I scream out the ugly reality as the tears begin to flow freely down my face. "So no I don't, Logan. This is my fault. If Elias never met me, Elian would still be alive."

"You're right!" Logan yells after me and I stop in my tracks as my body tenses. "But you both wouldn't have got to experience the greatest love story of your life. You wouldn't know what it's like to to be consumed by each other. You wouldn't be parents to that little girl who stole the entire football teams heart." He smiles as he touches my stomach with his finger tips before pulling me in for a hug.