29

Cade

Pale, that was exactly how she looked when she walked up to me. I excused myself from the people around me, as I met her up halfway. "Bel, everything good?"

She forced a smile, her eyes moving around cautiously. "Yeah."

I raised a brow at her, knowing well that her answer was a complete false. Something had to have happened, and it only made me wonder if someone had said something hurtful to her...

It wasn't completely absurd to put that blame on Elroy or Rhea, because they were the only two people, I couldn't trust her alone with. Even with knowing she could very well defend herself, I wasn't sure to what extent those two would go, to get their message across.

"Actually," she spoke up, her eyes falling on mine. "No... everything's not good."

"Okay? I thought as much... did anyone say something to you? Cause if that's what—"

"Remember the guy that we met at the private gym?"

I stopped to think. The guy she ran from?

"The English guy?" I asked, just to clarify.

"Yeah... Harry. He called me not a long while ago... asking to meet."

I felt a frown bring down my brows. "What for?"

"He wants to catch up?" she said, almost like she could just bite down on her tongue for the words that left her mouth.

I didn't really understand the whole situation, seeing as she hadn't yet told me about the guy. Or the kind of past they shared.

"Mabel I-"

"I know I haven't really told you about him, but his term of catching up, is not something I think you'd approve of." She made that clear.

If anything, this only brought up more confusion.

What exactly was she implying? Who was this Harry guy to her?

"Do you want to leave?" I asked her, seeing clearly by her expression that she didn't want to be here.

She wore an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mess this day up."

"No, it's fine," my fingers brushed through my hair. "We need to talk about it... Grandma will understand."

"You don't have to come with, I can just wait for you back at the house-"

"It's fine Mabel, wait here, I'll be right back." I left her standing there, scanning the background for my grandma. I spotted her standing with Elroy, as they talked about something... something that seemed to make my grandma happier than the moment I talked to her a few minutes ago.

Elroy probably told her of his intensions with Fay.

When she spotted me coming, she grinned at me, while Elroy watched with scrutiny. "I'm guessing Elroy told you." Were my first words.

She beamed. "It couldn't have been a better birthday present."

I smiled down at her, happy to see her happy. "Well I'm glad. Elroy isn't completely useless after all."

A frown met with his face immediately, in which I scoffed to.

"I'm sorry to cut this short grandma, but something important came up."

She frowned. "You're leaving?"

I noticed Mabel coming towards our direction.

"Yes, but I will make it up to you." I told her.