16

Mabel

I was so surprised that I didn't even have to do anything. Joshua acted like he didn't know me. At first I thought he was going to make a scene where I'd have to try and calm him down or pretend like I didn't know him. But he was so cool that it got me a little bit scared.

Joshua was never cool, and I knew... I knew something was up.

I watched him from across the board room as he held the file, smiling and bidding goodbye to the man he had been talking with.

The meeting ended few minutes ago, and Cade was still a little busy discussing something with another board member.

My first thought about the issue was a question.

What if something had happened to him? What if he lost his memories due to the trauma of loosing me? I mean, why else would he act the way he did? Any normal person in his shoes would have questioned me on first sight, but he just pretended like I wasn't even there.

He probably lost his memory or something, thats the only explana-

His eyes landed on me, and before I could even comprehend it, he started making his way towards me.

Oh shit, he remembers me. Shit!

I shifted from one feet to another, as he reached me. "Mabel Holland. I must say, I didn't expect to see you here, of all places."

From my side vision, I caught Cade looking over at our direction.

"Excuse-"

"It's fine, you don't have to pretend like you don't know me... I won't make a scene. But we really do need to catch up."

"What?"

He smiled. "Yeah, are you free now? Cause I am. I've been going to this coffee shop just down the street ever since I came to Miami. It's a very good place to talk."

I gulped. "Erm... Well, I don't know if my boss would let me-"

"Oh, no worries, leave that to me." He said, walking directly to Cade without waiting for a reply.

He bent slightly to whisper in his ear, it lasted for like few seconds before Cade gave a nod.

What?!

Joshua stood up straight, making his way to me. "You ready?" He asked.

"Um. Sure." I said with a forced smile as confusion made a peaceful home in my head.

_

"So, Mabel, tell me. Was this meeting a mere coincidence or is this another game of yours?" He asked after taking a sip of his coffee and dropping it back down on the round wooden table separating us.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He was about to talk, but I stopped him. "I don't understand any of this Joshua. Why are you so cool with all of this? You're not supposed to be cool, you're supposed to freak out! Anyone in your shoes would be freaking out like crazy right now."