18

Mabel

I placed the whisk in the modern kitchen sink, letting out a breath of relief.

Mixing batter wasn't as easy as YouTube made it. Being a bad cook, I'd always relied on outside food; but when I woke up this morning, I realized my stomach wasn't ready to take in anymore microwaved pizza, and Cade might just appreciate my attempt at making pancakes.

It was a miracle finding a whisk amongst his kitchen utensils. I'm sure he doesn't even know the purpose of it.

I sighed, turning back to look at the batter. It looked well mixed. I cocked my head. Does it?

"Yes, Uriel. You can send it. Check the second shelf in my office, you'll find the flash drive, you can transfer the documents to your computer and email it to Mr. Jenkins."

At the sound of Cade's voice, my heart skipped a beat. Is he going to like this? Last time I made an attempt to cook here two years ago, I nearly choked myself to death, and he'd been really mad, not about the damage done to the kitchen or the oven, but the damage I could have caused for myself.

My eyes saw his figure approaching. He was wearing a well ironed white long sleeved shirt the two top button unhooked, exposing his pretty skin. His black jean pants kissed his legs as he walked Into the kitchen, phone pressed to his ear, his hair rested carelessly on his head.

This brought me back to the first time I met him at the airport. I'd been so marveled at how breathtakingly handsome he was, and how sexy his eyes were from up close. I even had difficulty forming a straight sentence. But it all made everything look and feel real. Back then, I didn't take it as much, but now, now I knew I'd been attracted to this man the first time I set my eyes on him.

I gulped down when his eyes landed on me. "You can schedule a meeting with Mr. Jenkins by 4pm." He said to Uriel, who I suppose was at the other end of the line. His eyes falling from mine and down to the mixed batter on the table. He raised a brow before his eyes blessed me with a confused look.

I managed a small strained smile.

"I'll be there in an hour or so. Start the preparations for the board meeting... Yes... Tell Damien I can't take his calls and I'll give him a call as soon as I'm done for the day. Yeah... Do that."

His eyes still didn't leave mine as he frowned on whatever Uriel was telling him. "I don't really care Uriel... Just do what I asked. See you in an hour." He said hanging up before sliding his phone into his pocket.

"Morning." I said.

"What's going on here? Planning to burn down my house again?" He asked, amusement in his tone, but his eyes were literally chanting caution.

"Um... No? It's just pancake."

"Last time it was just cake." He said, coming further into the kitchen.

A smile tugged at my lips. "Last time, I didn't know how to operate an oven. Now I'm partially educated on that aspect."

"Partially?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes at him, digging my teeth into my lower lip, as I brought down a frying pan.

"At least you managed to mix the batter without getting some on your hair." He said.