12

Mabel

He didn't make an attempt to talk while he waited for me to speak. Pressing my lips together, I sniffed. "Well, you know part of the story... But not all of it."

"Then tell me everything. I promise I won't judge you." He said.

Just one look at his face, I knew he was being sincere, I knew he was genuinely willing to listen, I knew he might help me. Might.

I swallowed. "I met Laross when I was only 17. He took me and my brother in. He was- he was nice and wanted to help us."

"Who is Laross?" He asked me.

"My first ever boyfriend and the only guy who I ever dated for real. I was in too deep before I realized what business he was really into."

"He's the one you said you were running from?"

I nodded. "I broke up with him because he wasn't really a nice guy. He was- he was horrible. Not to me- but to everyone. He killed without reason, he tortures people... He was terrifying. I noticed Cole beginning to change too. He took Laross just the way a younger brother would take an Elder brother. I realized it wasn't a good setting for him. So- I left and took Cole with me." I said, taking in a deep breath.

"Laross wasn't too happy about it. So, he got Cole to turn against me. Cole got into the drug Cartel business and then he got in trouble. I guess it was a business delivery thing- but I knew Cole screwed up big time and Laross- well, Laross told him to pay back the money. Cole came back to me and he apologized for everything he did and wanted my help. I didn't know what to do cause, at that time I was struggling to even afford a two square meal, talk more of three." I said.

"So I um- I started this. To save my brother, myself, and also to have the perfect life. I conned people, men- women... I stole, I- I did bad things. I hurt people. I gathered the money from the people I conned and I even had more. Things were going perfect. I payed Laross and I guess he thought there was more where that came from.

Well, Cole joined me in the business. But he got too attached to the client and I had to pull him out before he sold us out. He hated me for that and went back to Laross. A year after I think- there was another delivery problem and um- Laross held Cole as his prisoner until I was able to raise the total sum of 20 Million. I was scared because I didn't have that kind of money, neither have I ever gotten that much. So I uh- I traveled out of Mexico and then- I looked for the perfect target." I looked up at him. "Which was you." I said.

In turn, he nodded, his jaw clenching and unclenching.

"Are you sure you want me to continue?" I asked cautiously.

"Yeah, go on."

I could tell he was hurt by my last statement. But I don't understand why he still wanted to hear more... Any sane person in his shoes would find me pathetic. Too pathetic to even listen to.

When I remained quiet, he took my hand In his. "I'm fine... Don't worry about me." He said, giving my hand a light reassuring squeeze.

"I made researches about you and your family for months. I watched you and mastered your movements, everything you liked to do, your favorite food, coffee place, how you loved to have your coffee made. In all I just made sure I knew everything about you. And then I planned our meeting at the airport. To make it all look realistic, when we had our first date, I told you about the drug Cartel business but I didn't mention Laross. It was easy for me because I knew everything about you before meeting you.