31

Mabel

I had waited the whole day at the office, but Cade never showed up. Which sort of increased my anxiety by the minute, even now as I shoved my cloths into my bags, walking around what used to be our bedroom, in order to make sure I didn't leave anything behind, I could feel my heart thumping crazily in my chest.

I knew I would have to wait for him to get back home before I leave...

Anything to stop him from thinking the unthinkable with my disappearance.

I stood still for a minute, closing my eyes and letting out a deep breath.

This is for the best, Mabel... there was no better decision you could have made, than this one.

Yvonne was right, I was the reason why there was a strain in my relationship with Cade, and I still haven't figured myself out... I can't depend on Cade for the rest of my life... I need to learn how to solve my problems myself, and not just dump them all up on him.

I wouldn't have told him about Harry, but I just didn't want there to be any secrets between us, which I now partially regretted, seeing as Cade wasn't talking to me, and he's probably out there thinking God knows what.

I sighed, shaking my head off the thought.

He's most definitely going to understand. I mean he has to.

I began zipping up the bags, my mind trying to come up with ways to break down this whole decision, to him.

"Why am I not even surprised?"

I jumped immediately, turning to the entrance of the bedroom to see Cade leaning against the door, hands, which had their sleeves rolled up to his elbow, were tucked into the pocket of his pants as he watched me, eyes a little dazed.

"Ca—"

"You are unbelievable, Mabel Holland." He said, hurt and disappointment showing in his dazed eyes as he shook his head, almost like he had given up when it came to fighting for me, before he turned, and walked away.

I stood there, dumbfounded. He definitely thought the worst, didn't he?

Closing my eyes, I let out a sigh. "Shit."

I grabbed the bags, taking one last look at the room before, walking out.

Dropping my bags in the living room, I went to find him.

He was seated on a kitchen stool, pouring himself a glass of bourbon.

I let out a breath, biting on my lower lip as I moved closer to him. "Hey." I tried to grab his attention, but I got nothing, not even a glance.

He brought the glass to his lips, taking its content in one gulp as he poured himself another.

Something told me that wasn't the first glass he had tonight.

"Cade, what you saw upstairs, was not what it looked like, I'm not running away—I wasn't, and I'm never going to."

His gaze met mine, totally blank and void of any emotion. "Yay, I feel so much better now." he said, bringing the glass to his lips once more, and downing the content.

He moved to pour another, gaze dropping from me.

I had spoken to Melissa, earlier today, explaining to her of my concerns with living in the same apartment with Cade... Although my reasons were simple... I was becoming dependent on Cade, allowing him to take care of some basic needs for me, I stay here for free, I don't pay any bills, I was just living off him, which to be honest, I wasn't okay with.