11

Mabel

The next morning, I ignored how pale I looked. I even ignored the stares I got from workers at Di-glamorous. Their opinion on me was the last thing on my mind right now, as I made my way towards Cade's office, animatedly.

Although I didn't know what to tell him, or even how to approach him on the matter. I knew quite well, if I really wanted to get anything out of Cade, I would have to tell him everything. No cuts, no filter. I'd have to explain everything to him, I'd have to risk what I have left of my pride, even if it goes against everything I stand for.

But...

How the hell was I supposed to carry my head high when I tell him everything? When I let him know how foolish I was, how stupid I had gotten for the sake of a good life, for the sake of wealth and a feeling of not having to worry about what tommorow Brought.

The moment the elevator pulled apart, I stepped out. And Immediately I did, Cade was busy, making his way towards the elevator.

He looked like he was in a hurry.

His head raised from his phone, and his eyes met mine. "Mabel? Didn't you get my text?"

"What? What text?" I asked.

"I gave you today off." He said, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"What? Why?" I asked, my brows furrowed in confusion and a little bit of worry.

"Cause I won't be in today, something urgent came up, and I have to fly to Los Angeles like right now."

My heart dropped. "What? I was- I was hoping I could get a chance to talk to you about something. Something really important Cade."

He checked his wrist watch. "I'm so sorry, um- I have to go now... My flight leaves in a few minutes. Maybe when I get back tomorrow, we can talk about whatever it is you want to talk about?"

"Tomorrow?" I voiced out in a whisper. But I don't have that much time.

"Yeah... I'll talk to you later, Bel." He said, rushing past me and straight towards the elevator.

I blinked, feeling my heart shatter into thousands and thousands of pieces as every last bit of hope I had been holding on to, broke.

Where was I going to get the money? How the hell am I supposed to save myself and my brother from Laross? How?

_

"I'm sorry, Miss Holland. But we can't Grant you the loan. There's no apparent assurance that you'd pay back, neither do you have anything the bank would use as collateral. Besides, right now, you're not eligible to borrow a loan." Mr. Stapleton, the bank attendant said.

"I know Mr. Stapleton. I know I'm not eligible and I also know that I don't have a collateral. But- I promise to pay back by the end of the month. There's no escaping it. I can even put down my signature and you can send me to prison if I don't pay back the money by the time that I promised to pay. I really need this money, Mr Stapleton. This is a matter between life and death. Please."

He shot me a sympathetic look. "I really wish there was something I could do for you, Miss Holland. You look like you really need the money. But- I work under the bank, and I follow the rules. And the rules simply states that once you aren't eligible for a loan, you can't receive one. I'm sorry."