6

Cade

The minute I pulled my front door open, my heart skipped a beat at the sight in front of me. My jaw slacked down before I could even think of controlling myself.

There she stood, soaking wet, hair dripping, and shaking like a leaf. She was taking in strained breath as she hugged her frozen body, tight. "G-g-good eve-evening s-sir."

I stood there, silent for a few minutes.

my brain was still unable to comprehend why she had come out in the rain without an umbrella? Or even better, where the hell was her car?

I gulped down. "Morning, it's past twelve."

"O-oh, I didn't n-notice." She snapped back, but it sounded weak.

I pulled the door wide open, ushering her in.

She stepped in, taking off her wet coat. "What happened to your car?" I had to ask, cause last I remembered, she had a car, the one I bought for her, on her birthday... The one she was hell bent on rejecting, but still accepted either way.

"S-sold it." She said, using her coat to dry her hair.

Damnation.

"Sold it? You stole 19Million dollars from me, Mabel. Why would you see the need to sell your car?"

She gulped. "I'm cold." She said, avoiding my question.

I wanted to probe further, but I decided to stop... I didn't call her here to know about her. Or what she did in those two years. Even though I was dying to know.

"I'll be back." I muttered, walking to my room.

Coming back out, not after a while longer, I handed her a blue sweater and a black sweatpant.

Her eyes widened as she took it from me, studying the sweater and sweatpants. "They're mine." She said in a quiet voice, her eyes suddenly snapping to mine.

"Really?" I asked, knowing fully well they were hers, but I didn't want her to know that.

Two years ago, she'd left me. But I still found it pretty hard to let her go, so let's just say, these aren't the only things I have of her, in my wardrobe... Still, she doesn't need to know that.

"Yeah, they are." She said, a look of hurt passed through her eyes, but it was gone before I could fully make it out. "T-Thank you."

"Hm." I said, turning around to walk away, but then I stopped, and turned back to her. "Go change in the guest room, and I'll meet you back at my home office."

"Okay, sir."

-

I paced back and forth in my study, biting the inside of my lips as I wondered what the hell was taking her so long, and why the hell my heart was racing like that of a mad dog!

Okay, relax Cade. You called her here to work... To frustrate her... To make her know how much you want her to believe that you hate her... You shouldn't be nervous because you've got this. You've got this, Cade.