8

Mabel

"What are you doing here Cade?" Was the second thing that slipped out of my mouth.

He couldn't be here unless he wasn't in his right senses, and judging by the way he leaned at the door, he was very drunk.

But why could be have been drinking? And why is he here?

"Trust me, I'm still asking myself that question. But- but can I come in?" He asked, his voice unsure.

I blinked. "Cade, its late... I-"

"Please, we need to talk... I can't pretend like we never had a past that is worth fighting for... Please."

I sighed, pulling the door wider, so He could come in.

When he stepped in, I closed the door, turning to face him with my hands behind me, still on the door knob... I don't know why I stood there, but I know that it made me feel somewhat safe from-

from what?

"Today, I don't know what came over me. It was a stupid attempt at revenge for what you did to me. I'm sorry." He apologized, and the sincerity in his eyes made my heart flutter.

"It's long forgotten Cade- I mean Mr. Chesterfield. I made a mistake, and you reprimanded me for it."

"The wrong way." He said. "And it wasn't a mistake, and those files I gave you to work on were not important to me. I just wanted to- it was foolish, and I sincerely apologize... All we just have to do is talk, maybe there was a reason why you did it? Why you left me? Took the money... I want to know all of it Bel."

He wants to know why? And what? He expects me to tell him? After I tell him, then what? He'd only hate me more, knowing he wasn't the first guy I had ever conned.

I led a shameful life, and I'd be damned if I let him in on that.

My pride will never let me. Ever.

He took a step closer, stumbled a little bit, but held himself. "Listen, I know there is a reason for what happened... I know you Ma-"

"You don't know me." I said, cutting him off. "Everything we had was a lie-"

"It wasn't one to me... I loved you Mabel, and I still love and care about you. What we had was real to me-"

"You don't know what you're saying... You're drunk." I stated out.

He shook his head, taking another step closer. "I might be a little bit out of it, but I do know what I'm saying. Two years ago, we had the perfect life Mabel, until you ran away without a single word." He said. "I was confused, and I wondered what went wrong, every single damn day. I was miserable without you. I never healed from the hurt. It killed me, each and every single day." He said.

I gulped down, feeling his words reach out to the part of me that wanted to go through with the marriage, that part of me that made me forget I was aiming at a goal, while I was with him. That same part of me that made me feel guilty whenever I thought of him.