30

Cade

"So, let me get this straight." Damien said, going over to the chair opposite me and taking his seat. "You want me to dig up some dirty deets about this Harry guy."

I had left the house earlier than usual, didn't wake Mabel because I still wasn't in the mood to come face to face with what she had revealed to me. Solving the problem was what came next.

That Harry guy was up to no good, and I could just feel it.

Mabel also knew this. He helped her find her victims in the past, this means he is also into some shady business, probably in line with what Mabel used to do.

Asides from the fact that he had a thing for Mabel, he struck me as the kind of guy that didn't give up easily, the kind of guy who got whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

He wanted something now, something he was hoping to use Mabel to achieve.

"Yeah... details capable enough to drive him away from Miami and from our lives because, he's a threat."

"To your relationship with Mabel?" Damien asked.

"That, and the fact that he also poses as a threat to the Chesterfields. I want you to treat his case like you did that Lucas guy."

Damien shook his head. "But Harry hasn't exactly done anything to raise suspicion or anything to harm any of us."

I sighed, knowing Damien was right. But I couldn't also shake the gut feeling that this Harry guy wanted something, something that would most definitely come as a threat to all of them. He gave off that vibe. "I know that he's going to do something... if he hasn't already started making plans."

"Since when do you judge people so easily, Cade?"

"I'm not judging anyone, Damien. I mean, think of it. He saw me and Mabel at the private gym, next thing he's calling her wanting to meet. What does that tell you?"

"It tells me many things. Like for one, he just wants to catch up, and talk."

I gave Damien a blank look.

"They used to be friends, right? Nothing more?"

"Yeah." I lied.

I don't know why but, telling Damien the whole truth about their relationship didn't feel right. It felt private, and I know that it took a lot from Mabel to open up like that to me. So, I felt the need to protect her, her truth and the dark parts of her past.

"So, it's settled then." Damien said, sitting up. "The dude probably just wants to catch up."

"She thinks he wants something more, Damien. That has to count for something."

Damien stayed quiet, his fingers going to stroke his chin, and his eyes squinted, telling me that he was far off thinking of a way to settle this peacefully. "Okay. We both know I can't make any moves until I am certain he is a threat to our family."

"Yes."

"So, I have an idea."

I sighed, relieved. "I'm listening."

__

Mabel

Ever since I resumed for the day's work, I had been on edge, checking the time, looking out the window, jumping when the elevator sled apart.

Uriel was beginning to worry.

I wouldn't blame him. I haven't been more distracted in my entire life.