35

A/N: Do vote and Comment. As you read on!

Mabel

I resumed pretty early at Di-glamorous the next day, and discovered Cade had decided to head to EA earlier. I was pretty surprised he didn't inform me that he was heading there, but deciding not to think much of it, I proceeded in getting all my pending work done.

I was glad it didn't take too much time to get the work done seeing as I had to make a stop at Halo today. Diane had found somethings she would like me to see and confirm. I honestly doubted she would find anything concerning my past because it was very much silent during those times, the only thing I could remember was my first name, my last name, and then Laross...

There was also that memory from yesterday too, but I really didn't want to pay attention to it.

I was having a big breakthrough with this new opportunity, and I'll be damned if I let anything come in the way with that.

After checking to see if anything was amiss in the office, I shot a quick text to Cade, knowing very well that his reply would be on a big maybe, since he had succeeded in ignoring me today.

Me:
Hey, I'll be at Halo for the rest of the day, should in case you might need me... if you do need me, just send a text and I'll be right there, have a nice day. I love you, and will see you soon.

I sent it, letting out a sigh as I dropped my phone at my side, tying my hair up in a loose ponytail, before stacking up the files on my table.

The moment I grabbed my bag and phone, a notification sound popped in.

I checked it almost immediately.

Mr. C. Chesterfield:
Okay, noted. I'll let you know if I need you. Have a lovely day too, Bel.

I reread the message like thrice... it was a simple message, very simple if you ask me. maybe even too simple... but he called me Bel, and the fact that he did that, had my heart smiling too, its excitement reflecting on my lips.

His anger was subsiding, and I was so glad of that fact, maybe he was beginning to see my reason for moving out.

I kept my phone in my bag, and with a new found confidence, I headed straight for Halo.

***

I was ushered to a boardroom where I found Diane, head buried into a bunch of files on the board table, a frown knitting her brows.

"Hey." I made my presence known. "Hopefully those papers have got nothing to do with me?"

She looked up, a small smile stretching her lips. "I wish that were the case."

The moment she said that, my heart dropped.

"What did you find? Is it that bad?"

She gestured me to take the seat right opposite her, a confused yet cautious look in her eyes.

When I took my seat, my eyes scanned the papers in front of us.

"Last we spoke, you said you didn't remember anything about your past, yes?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yes."

"I think I know why." She said.

At this, I furrowed my brows.

"I think you're suffering from Selective Amnesia." She said, passing me a file with some bunch of papers in it. My eyes scanned hers hesitantly, before taking the file from her, and proceeding to study it.

It was a recording about a huge house fire, said to have killed just one person. The address looked really familiar.

"I think it happened right after this incident. That's your old home. According to my research, the cause of fire still hasn't been found, but you and your brother, Antonio were found outside, unconscious. And your mother was nowhere to be found." She said.

I blinked, dropping the file back down, unable to comprehend all of the emotions swimming through me. "A-A fire... I can't... I don't remember any of—"

"Hey," she placed her hand atop mine. "You can take it in one at a time, I think you should see a therapist, to help you rememeber what—"

"No, I don't... I think I don't want to. How did you even find all of this?" I asked.

"I had a bit of help, from Damien... he knows people who know people, he sent me the info last night."

I nodded.

"That's all I could dig up from your past, Mabel."

"Can you erase it all? I mean... if I'm going to use my real name, we don't want it coming to the surface cause people can be quite nosey, and I don't want Cole to be dragged into all of this... he just started a new surprisingly legit career and I don't want to ruin it all for him."

Diane nodded. "I'll talk to Damien about it. He would know what to do."

"Thank you." I thanked still a bit shaken from my recent findings.

The fact that I knew it would all come rushing back sooner or later, had my heart beating with fear.

I was unsure, so unsure if I was ready to face this... from the little flashback I had yesterday, I knew it was terrible... what had happened to us was extremely terrible, and somewhere out there, according to what Damien and Diane had found, my mother might still be alive.

I didn't want to ponder about what really happened because I was finally moving forward with my life.

Cole was finally doing great things with his talents, and for once in so many years, things were beginning to look up for us both, I didn't want to mess it up... not now, not ever.

"So, wanna tell me what's up with that ring no one is talking about?" Diane asked, eyeing the ring on my finger, while gathering up the files that almost threatened to shift my attention from positivity.

My gaze went to the sparkling beauty. "Cade got it for me... before breaking up with me due to a misunderstanding, which will be sorted out really soon." I added.

She grinned. "I stopped listening after hearing Cade got it for me." she chuckled. "So, you both are engaged again?"

"Hopefully so... hopefully the wedding happens this time... I'm trying to get him to understand my reason for moving out. I'm the kind of person who loves to be independent cause I've been independent my whole life... but Cade just wants to cover me up like a blanket. Not that I don't like that he cares and worries about me, but—"

"I get it... you want to do something good for yourself for once."

I nodded. "Yeah... but he just thinks I'm pulling away from him... which is totally not the case."

"Well, you're in luck...Saturday would be the private product launch, and we'll be having the shoot today. So, he's going to see a whole new Mabel." She grinned. "The shoot is gonna start by 2:00 so we have about 4 hours to get you ready."

"Four hours?!" I exclaimed. "What are you gonna do to me?"

"Girl, this is Halo... we have people to impress and stand above. Besides, Rhea would kill me if anything goes wrong, she has gone to explain it all to her witch of a mother, and will be back by Friday... she expects everything to sparkly perfect! Her words, not mine." Diane snorted.

"Okay then, let's get moving."

* * * * *

Diane had said the pictures came out amazing, and there were too many bill board worthy head shots to choose from. I should be happy, hell, I should be jumping for joy and face timing Neha who I was sure would be completely shocked to see me this way, and to hear that I had scored myself a money arising deal with Halos just like that... but, I had no zeal... I had no happiness, because just like I had known after seeing those files, the memories from my past came haunting.

It was almost one in the morning, and I just got in my apartment a few minutes ago, numb to the bone, and unable to acknowledge the tiredness that currently wayed me down.

I dropped my bag lazily on the nearby couch, walking over to my bathroom. The first thing that hit me was my reflection, one I had seen... really seen for the first time today, one that reminded me of a certain woman who would do anything to protect her family, one who I called mother.

Just like hers was, my hair was a curly mess framing my face and falling down my back and shoulders, it was shiny due to whatever treatments the hair stylist had applied to make it less stubborn as I remembered it to be.

My mother would always pull me to her lap, and weave my very stubborn hair, she would say in Spanish that it was just as thick and curly as her mothers, and wished it was more like hers.

My face rid of all kinds of make-up, showed the natural faint freckles that danced between my nose to both cheeks, my now brown hair complementing my skin and showing the world who Gabriella really was. A Mexican girl who had spent all her life pretending to be someone she wasn't.

Ruining so many lives as she went... an awful person... a murderer.

At that last thought, a shiver went down my spine as I wrapped my arms around myself, allowing the tears slip down my cheeks as I sat on the close lid toilet, dipping my hands into my pocket to grab my phone.

I didn't know who else to tell about what I remembered, I didn't even know how to process my emotions, how to feel... I just needed Cade. I needed to be in his arms and his comfort, I needed to tell him everything and have him hold me and say it would all be just fine.

The only reason why I was late was because I had gone to see Cade, hoping to meet him at home, but he wasn't there. I had called Uriel to check if he left Cade at the office, but Uriel had said Cade left earlier than usual, said he had a dinner to attend with an old friend. So, I waited, sat outside his front porch for close to 5 hours, but he didn't come home.

I left when it was 12:52 AM hoping to God that he was alright, but at the same time, sad that he wasn't there when I needed him.

I dialed his number again, and just like the last times, his voicemail was all I heard.

"Hey, you've reached Cade, leave a message at the beep if it's really important."

Beep.

"Hey," I let out, voice croaked from crying. "I just—I wanted to know if you were okay. I was- I was at your house but you weren't home. I uh... I wanted to talk to you, and spend some time with you." I swallowed, warm tears flowing from my eyes to my cheek. "​A lot happened today, some good stuff and some bad stuff... and I'm really trying to—to think about the good stuff but... the bad stuff is too bad Cade—" I stopped, catching my breath to stop myself from sobbing, not wanting to worry him. "I just don't know who to talk to... you're the only one I trust with huge stuff like this but—you're not even here. I miss you, and please call me back when you get this, let me know that you're okay at least. I love you."

I brought the phone back to my view, ending the voice mail, and hoping that he returned my call.

But I spent the night, curled up in my couch, trying to stay awake, phone hugged to my chest, as I waited for him to return the call.

He never did.

__

Vote and Comment;)

Thanks for your patience... there was a bit of a delay, I blame it on life and school!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update.

What's up with Cade?!

Can't wait for him to get back to his normal self, cause our girl needs him right now!

I'll see you guys in the next update!