40

A/N: Do vote and Comment

Before you start, how are you, really?

Cade

I jerked awake. The constant blaring of the unfamiliar ring tone was all I could hear.

My mind was unfocused, and sleep seemed to take its lovely time in clouding my senses. It was safe to say that I was very tired, and I could do off with a few more hours of rest.

I forced my eyes open, despite them being so damn heavy. My hand reached blindly for the device on the bedside table.

Sleepily picking up the call without even checking the caller ID.

"Hello." My voice came out horse and groggy.

There was a small pause before a female voice came up. "Um... hi, am I on to Miss Holland?" the voice asked, sounding confused.

Miss Holland? What—

I brought the phone to my slightly blurry view before putting it back to my ear, realizing too late that it was Mabel's phone. "No, but I'm her fiancé" I answered, barely able to keep my eyes open as my mind registered the fact that Mabel wasn't in the bedroom with me.

"Oh, okay then... Can you help pass the message that Doctor McKane would be available to carry out further check up on the baby's health today, by 2:00Pm, I'll be booking a reservation down for her."

"Oh, okay sure I will—" I paused, my eyes coming open, completely rid of all the sleep waves. "Wait, what?" I asked, bringing the phone to my view once more to see the call was coming from the hospital

"I was asking if you could help pass the message that Doctor McKane would be available to examine she and the baby, in regards to the baby's health. Will she be available by 2PM?"

I blinked, sitting right up... "Uh... yeah, sure... she will—no we'll be there by 2, thank you so much for the info."

"Great then! We'll be expecting you. Have a good morning."

"Yeah, you too." I said as the line went dead.

I stayed in that position for about a few seconds, clearing my head of all the thoughts, fishing for my phone to see at least 10 missed calls from Uriel, with a reminder notification, set for a meeting I was supposed to be having in like an hour ago.

Shit.

I got up from the bed and quickly dashed to the bathroom, taking the quickest shower I had ever taken in my entire life, seeing as I had two things in my mind... having a thorough conversation with Mabel and going to work.

__

Mabel

Diane had created a mini group chat for the purpose of planning a girl's day off between me, her, Fay and Rhea. and we had planned to meet up today at Rhea's beach side pent house, but I wanted to make breakfast quickly and break the news about my pregnancy to Cade.

At that thought, a smile broke out on my lips.

This was going to mark a new beginning in both our lives... I messed up before with my first child, but now, I'll protect this baby with every fiber of my being.

Not everyone was chanced with the opportunity to mother a child after hurting the first one she would ever have.

I heard footsteps rushing down the stairs the moment I turned off the electric cooker, turning to find a refreshed and ready for work Cade.

"You're going to work today?" I asked, not hiding my disappointment.

"Something important came up." He told me. "But before I get into that, you got a call from the hospital... I wouldn't have picked it up, but I thought it was my phone."