4

Mabel

The next morning, I arrived 20 minutes to six.

Waking up early wasn't difficult for me, it was something I was used to, and if Cade thought this was a test I'd fail, then he didn't know me at all.

Technically, he doesn't know you.

I suppressed my inner voice.

When I made my way into Di-glamorous wears, a sudden wave of nostalgia hit me, just like it did yesterday.

Two years ago, I'd pay Cade impromptu visits now and then, I actually made some friends here, but I knew that didn't matter now cause no one actually smiled at me when I arrived.

There were few people already, working and setting things in order for the days work.

"Miss Holland?" A voice called from behind me.

I turned to find a woman of about Thirty five to forty, standing with her chin high. "Your description suites you." She said.

I raised a brow at her, I'd never seen her before and honestly, I had no idea on what she was going on about. "Um... Hi. My description? What do you-"

"Mr. Chesterfield told me you would be arriving early, I'm to give you your uniforms for work." She said.

My brows drew closer in a frown. "Uniforms?"

She eyed me from head to toe. "Indeed, uniforms. Come with me, please." She turned abruptly, walking ahead without a backwards glance to see if I was following closely behind her.

I rushed after her. "Um--"

"Mrs. Howard." She filled in for me.

"Mrs. Howard, um... What exactly is my job?"

She stopped abruptly, turning to me. "Your job is to make Di-glamorous, glamorous." She said, her face as expressionless as the word expressionless.

"Um- Mrs Howard, I don't- I don't think I fully grasp-"

"I'm Mrs. Howard, and I'm the overseer of the sanitary keepers." She said.

"Excuse me?"

"Hm. No wonder you don't hold a higher rank. You're slow. But your activeness isn't really required for your job."

I gulped.

Everything began to sink in. "You mean to say that- that my work is to- to clean?"

"Of course." She turned abruptly, walking ahead like a machine being controlled. "Di-glamorous and Emerald arts has over 300 staffs, working day and night. And they have over thirty restrooms installed in both buildings. We sanitary keepers make sure the place remains intact. Your job is to clean and take care of the restrooms in this floor. We have several teams of sanitary keepers. You'd be working with the teams from this floor."

I was too dumbstruck to talk.

We stopped right in front of a small door. The name uniforms was boldly pasted above the door.