2

Cade

I could swear, time stopped.

All that met my ears was my fast beating heart, the ticking wall clock and the door to my office shutting close. Uriel had decided to ease himself off the awkward moment.

Who wouldn't?

I didn't Know what to say or how to act or even what to do, I just sat there staring at the woman who ruined my life two years ago.

I had played out this scene in my head, times without number. It would always end up with me asking her why or me crying my heart out in front of her, or me yelling out my pain and frustration at her face.

But now, when it was all happening for real, I was tongue tied and speechless.

She took a step forward. The sound of her heels on the ground of my office, made me swallow hard.

She hadn't aged a day... If anything, she looked younger, more prettier than I remembered.

"Hi." She managed to let out. Her voice was like I remembered it, but there was something different about it this time. I could hear desperation, emptiness and frustration. "I know what you're thinking and-"

"If you knew what I was thinking, you wouldn't even be standing here." I found myself saying, glad my feelings didn't appear in my voice.

She gulped, taking another step forward.

"I-" she started, but stopped. After a while, she sighed. "I don't even know where to begin."

I sat there, still staring at her.

"But I guess I should start by saying sorry and-"

"What do you want?" I asked her, knowing fully well that she wasn't here to apologize... If she really wanted to, she would have done that two years ago. Women like her only go back to their useless tool for a reason. "I know you didn't come all the way here to apologize, cause if you did, you're only wasting your time cause I don't even wanna hear it."

She gulped again. "Okay, you want to be direct about this? You were always the straight forward kinda guy." She raked her hands through her full blonde her, something I always admired about her. Something that I once loved and cherished. "Fine. I'm here because I- well- I-" she stopped.

Silence followed.

My heart was unsteady, and just with a little push, I was pretty sure it would fall straight down my stomach.

Be in control Cade. Be in control.

She took that time to speak up again.

"I'm desperately in need of your help Cade, and-"

I scoffed, cutting her off. "Didn't take me long to figure that one out." I stood up, coming out from behind my table to stand a long distance away from her. I leaned against my table, crossing my arms over my chest. "What happened? Did you finally run out of the 19 million dollars you stole from me? Do you perhaps need more?"

"Cade-"

"Answer the damn question, or get the fuck out of my office." I said, sounding so calm, But I could feel all my buried pain and anger, digging out.