I don't hate you (Mark)

"I think gathering the data city-wise would be too tedious," said Y/N, placing her chin on her palms. "Let's do it for the provinces."

"Oh, I agree," Xiaojun nodded.

"I don't," Mark said flatly. "Our main objective is to conduct the study on a city level. We can't just change our goal because-" he looked pointedly at Y/N "-we're too lazy."

Y/N sighed. She knew he hated her but did he have to make it this obvious? She thought she was used to his treatment but sometimes it did hurt her feelings. "That may be true but such a long presentation will bore everyone to tears," Y/N argued further. "We should keep it short and interesting."

Mark narrowed his eyes at her and said, "you just have to have fun at all times, don't you? Even at others' expense." Y/N's mouth fell open at his words. She had had a crush on him since forever but sometimes she just wanted to punch him in the face.

"It's better than being a party-pooper like yourself," she snapped.

"Guys, guys," Xiaojun intervened, holding a book between them to break their glaring-contest.

"Are you guys fighting again?" Hendery asked, yawning. Their little brawl had woken him up, it seemed.

"He started it," Y/N muttered sullenly.

"Why did the teacher put you two in the same group?" Hendery murmured, placing his head back on his folded arms, going back to sleep.

"Let's do this," said Xiaojun, putting the book away, allowing Y/N and Mark to see each other. "How about instead of two products we talk about one? That's like cutting the workload in half."

"Okay, cool," Mark agreed quickly and it down on his notebook.

"Let's divide the cities," Xiaojun suggested.

Y/N smacked the back of Hendery's head, "wake up and work with us."

After school, Y/N walked to the bus stop. As she turned the corner of the street she saw the back of Mark's head, seemingly headed in the same direction as her.

What Mark had said during the day came back to her. About how she always wanted to have fun, even at others' expense. It had hurt, but she now understood the true meaning behind those words. Mark being so petty was out of character. She could not believe he had a grudge against her for what happened eight to nine years ago.

Her feet started moving faster on their own accord until she had caught up to Mark. She grabbed his arm, stopping him. Mark's surprised expression changed to annoyance. "What?" He asked.

She needed to hear him deny it. "Why do you hate me?"

"I should be asking you that."

"I don't hate you," Y/N said without hesitation.

"You don't?" He said, incredulous. "It seems to me that you have made it your life's mission to make my life difficult."

The situation was so ridiculous that it made Y/N grin. "I should be the one saying that," she said calmly.

"I should be saying that since elementary school," Mark's voice was levelled too.

"So you do have a grudge against me." Y/N refused to lose this battle of calmness. She wanted to hear Mark deny it but he only confirmed her theory. "Mark, what I did ten years ago-"

"Had fun, didn't you?" He said with resentment and started to walk away. Y/N stopped him again.

"Okay, I won't lie, it was fun but only because I had your attention."

"What?" Mark wasn't sure if she was telling the truth. "Bullying me was fun?"

"Isn't 'bullying' too strong of a term? And no- I didn't mean it like that. I did tease you and make fun of you sometimes but it was never to hurt you." Y/N exhaled deeply. She wasn't sure if Mark would believe him but she had to tell the truth anyway. "I was an idiot back in elementary school. A big idiot with a crush on you and I could not find a normal way to express my feelings... so I did all sorts of things to make you notice me." Y/N hung her head low, afraid to see his reaction. "I know an apology is overdue. I'm very sorry." She didn't wait for his reply but walked away from him.

When the four of them met up the next day to go over their project, Mark refused to even look at Y/N. The latter could not sit still on her seat. She stayed silent and only spoke up when she had to. And surprisingly, Mark did not contradict any of her suggestions.

They went their separate ways when their project was complete and they had decided who would present which part. Y/N was waiting at the crosswalk when she heard her name being called out. She was surprised to see Mark running towards her. He stopped some distance away from her, with his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath.

"Y/N," he repeated.

"Yeah?"

"I don't hate you, either." Y/N stared at him for a full ten seconds before feeling the weight of his words.

"Does that mean you forgive me?" She allowed herself to feel hopeful and took a few steps closer to him.

Mark nodded. "I'm sorry too, for holding a grudge. I didn't do it because of the teasing and name-calling itself. I thought you hated me."

"I never did," said Y/N shaking her head. "I don't think anyone on this planet could hate you."

Mark chuckled and extended a hand for Y/N to take. "Wanna be friends?" Y/N did not hesitate before grabbing his hand.

xxx

Thank you @peachboyyyyyy for requesting this! I hope y'all enjoyed it.

(One down, four more requests to go!)