What's in it for me? (Jaehyun)

You were in your workplace, scrubbing one plate after another. The restaurant was pretty crowded as of late so you had to work fast. "Y/N," a chef came up to you. "Two of the waiters haven't come today, and there are many customers waiting for their orders to be taken. You can leave the dishes, for now, go take the orders first." He didn't wait for a reply and walked back to his station.

You were dreading this task. You had kept your job a secret from everyone, even your mother. It wasn't like your family was poor, you just needed some extra money without having to explain to your mother why you needed it. To buy manga and other anime merchandise. You thought washing dishes was the best job since no one will see you working, but now, you had to go out and face people.

You took off your apron, wore the waiters' attire and fixed your hair. You opened the door and approached the first table with a notebook and pen in your hand. After taking their order you started to move towards the next table but the person seated there made you stop in your tracks. It was Jaehyun, a boy from your school. He was with a girl whom you did not recognize.

You greeted them when you approached their table, all the while angling your body in a way which would hide your face from Jaehyun. It was hard for you to concentrate on what the girl was saying because of the nervousness, but you jotted it down. "Jaehyun," the girl tried to get his attention. You risked a glance at him and saw that he was looking straight at you. "What will you eat?"

"Haven't we met before?" He asked you.

"I doubt it, sir." He seemed to buy your lie and placed his order. You rushed back in and announced the orders in the kitchen like you had seen waiters do. Finally, your work was done and you could go back home. Now all you had to do was avoid Jaehyun at school.

Harsh sunlight in your face woke you up the next morning. You remembered closing the curtains at night, then who opened them? "Wake up," the culprit said.

"But mom, it's Saturday," you covered your face with the comforter to block out the light.

"My friend is coming over, I want you to meet her. So go put on something nice and come downstairs to help me."

"Please don't make me socialize," you whined. "And why is she coming so early, anyway?"

"Honey, it's already noon. Now, up and at 'em." You reluctantly got up and followed her instructions. You were ready within an hour and a half. You helped your mother with the cooking, with some skills you had learned by observing the chefs in the restaurant.

The doorbell rang so your mother told you to get it. You greeted your mother's friend as you opened the door.

"How have you been, Y/N?" She asked with a smile.

"Good," you smiled back. But your smile fell when your eyes fell on the person behind her. She walked inside to meet your mother, leaving you with her son, Jaehyun.

"Restaurant girl?" He pointed his index finger at you. You vigorously shook your head. "Yes, yes you are. In fact, you go to my school too."

Oh, shoot.

"Y/N," you heard your mother calling for you.

"Let's just keep it between us," you whispered to him in urgency.

"Hmm, alright. But what's in it for me?" He smirked.

"Can we talk about that later?" He nodded and walked inside. "What a jerk," you mumbled and followed him. True to his words, he didn't rat you out to your mom that day.

He approached you in school the next day when you were on your way to class. "Hey, I've thought about what you can do for me."

"Great," you said sarcastically. You could feel the students' eyes on you as you were walking down the hallway, who could blame them? The most popular guy in school was talking to you and that was quite the attention catcher.

"I've heard that you've got really good grades in science," he cleared his throat. "I'm failing that subject. I don't want anyone finding out about my grades," he whispered.

"And?"

"And I want a tutor. So you can help me with that."

"Now we know each other's secrets," you considered what he said. "Alright," you stopped walking. "We have a deal," you extended your hand for him to take, sealing the deal. "Are you free during the third period?"

"Yes."

"Then meet me at the library." Your sessions with Jaehyun had begun and continued for three weeks. You helped him strengthen his weak areas every day during the third and fifth period. During that time you realized that Jaehyun was actually a softy, even though he showed otherwise.

"Look," Jaehyun came to you one morning when you were putting your books in your locker. He was holding out a paper. You saw that it was his science test, on which he'd gotten an A-minus.

"Jaehyun, that's amazing! Your hard work has paid off," you smiled brightly. But you were a little upset that your tutoring sessions will now come to an end since you had developed a crush on him.

"You've worked hard too. So, will you let me treat you to ice cream after school? You know, as a celebratory treat," he smiled nervously.

"I'd love that," you smiled back.

"Great," he grinned. "I'll see you after school." He walked towards his class, while on his way, he turned around to look at you at least two times. You smiled to yourself, maybe you're not that upset anymore.

×××

Thank you again for reading:)