Self-worth (Mark) Part~3

It had been a while since Mark had eaten dinner with his brother and his family. He had been too busy with work but this time, his brother wouldn't hear no for an answer. As Mark walked out of the elevator, he sighed in contentment. He had not had a home-cooked meal in a while, it was a good thing he agreed to tonight. And after playing with his niece, he realized how much he had missed his family.

I should visit more often, he promised himself.

Before he could reach his car, he saw someone else. She turned her head and their eyes met. "Mr. Lee," she said, raising her eyebrows and then furrowing them.

"Ms. Y/N, what brings you here?" He said, walking toward her. After he had gotten over the initial shock of seeing her here, he felt a bit self-conscious now. He had not put much effort into dressing himself. It was not his usual suit and slicked-back hair today. Instead, it was his wavy hair covering his forehead and a simple T-shirt.

"I live here," she answered, gesturing in the direction of the building.

"Ah, I see," Mark answered, shifting on his feet. He looked at her and couldn't believe how someone could look so beautiful even in only sweatpants and a T-shirt. "My brother lives here too, I was just having dinner with him." Then his eyes fell on the little girl. She was clutching Y/N's hand and her pigtails moved as she took a subtle step behind Y/N. "This must be your daughter."

Y/N nodded and gently tugged the little girl's hand, "say hi, sweetie."

She bowed her head, "hello," she said shyly.

Mark smiled tenderly at her. He bent down on one knee to level himself with the little girl. "Hello," he said gently. "What's your name?"

"Jung Mari," she replied in a sweet, child-like voice.

Mark gasped softly, "my, what a pretty name." That made her smile, a deep dimple blooming on her right cheek. He stood up and addressed Y/N, "you guys seem to be going somewhere, I'll let you go now."

Before Y/N could reply, a car pulled up near them. Y/N stilled as Mari tugged her hand towards the car. A tall man stepped out of it, closing the door behind him.

"Dad!" Mari squealed. She let go of her mother's hand completely and ran towards the man. He bent down, picked her up and raised her in the air, making her giggle. The man grinned at his daughter, then his eyes turned to Y/N, then immediately to Mark. His smile faded as he walked towards them, Mari in his arms.

"I'll be taking Mari to the zoo tomorrow, you can come along too if you want," he said. Y/N's lips twitched as if she were trying to suppress a scowl.

"Have fun, Mari," Y/N said, ignoring the man.

"Mommy, please come," Mari tried to convince her too.

Y/N gently brushed stray strands of Mari's hair behind her ear, "another time, sweetie." Mari pouted.

"Well, call me if you change your mind," the man said, stepping back.

When Y/N kept silent, the man retreated to his car. Not before giving Mark another once-over. Mari waved from the backseat, and Y/N waved back, her smile tight. Once they drove off and were out of sight, Y/N faced Mark.

"That was Jaehyun," she said. "My ex-husband." Mark nodded. So she wasn't seeing anyone. He felt oddly relieved at the thought. "I'm sorry you had to witness that."

"You don't have to apologize," he said. Then he faced her fully, "I don't know if it's my place to say this, but you don't look so good right now."

Y/N shrugged, "I look how I feel, then. I hate sending her away with him."