A devil in the dark (Ten) Part~2

A monitor was making rhythmic beeping sounds.

Ten's back was aching because of sitting in the same chair for the better part of the day. He looked at the person sleeping on the hospital bed. Most of Y/N's body was covered in bandages, her head being the most heavily dressed. Her skin looked dead and her lips were white as if she'd eaten chalk.

How could this happen? One moment a person was so happy, and the next they almost died in a car crash. Y/N had survived, Ten was at least thankful for that. Her eyes had been closed for three days. But the doctors said that there was hope, and that was all that mattered to Ten.

Surely, fate wouldn't play a cruel joke on him by taking her away after he had liked her for three years. His little crush had started in high school. But he couldn't confess to her since she was already seeing someone. Then they had ended up in the same college as well. Unfortunately for him, Ten's crush had grown uncontrollably.

He remembered the first time he had spoken to her. He had been drinking at a club with his friends when he saw Y/N come in with her boyfriend. After about twenty minutes he heard some shouting. Behind him, he saw Y/N on the stage, dancing as if it would be her last time. Which was strange, considering Y/N wasn't so reckless as to get herself embarrassed like this. The only explanation was that she was completely drunk. But how could she get drunk in twenty minutes? And she was a good drinker, he knew as much from the freshmen party.

He saw her boyfriend trying to get her down from the stage, irritation written all over his face. But there was something about his demeanour like he was in a hurry. Before Ten knew it, he was on his feet, making a beeline for Y/N.

"Is there a problem?" He asked the boyfriend, who paused from manhandling Y/N towards the exit.

"Ten? Ah, no... no problem. Just taking Y/N home." He said, giving a smile which was meant to be reassuring but only came out as nervous.

"Yeah, quite a show she put up there," Ten said, grinning. "She seems drunk, rather, drugged." He watched as the guy clenched his teeth.

"Hey," he hissed in a low voice. "Mind your own damn business."

"Hey, Y/N," Ten said without taking his eyes off the man in front. "Do you want to leave with your boyfriend?" He made sure to say it loudly.

"No," Y/N slurred.

"You heard her, now let go before I call the cops on you."

The man just scoffed and shoved Ten out of his way. He resumed dragging Y/N out of the club. Ten went ahead of them and informed the bouncers at the gates about what had happened inside. Right that second, Y/N's boyfriend had brought her out. The bouncers took hold of him and he was forced to let go of Y/N.

Ten tried to get Y/N to tell him her address but she was too out of it. Taking her to his house wasn't an option since she'd freak out at waking up at a man's house whose name she probably didn't know. She might not even believe anything he'd tell her. So he did the only sensible thing he could think of; he called Y/N's friend to take her home.

The next day in college, Y/N joined Ten at the lunch table. "Hi, Ten," she said.

Ten couldn't believe she was actually sitting in front of him and talking to him. "Um, hi."

"Thank you, for yesterday. And sorry that you had to go through that."

"You remember what happened?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Most of it, and as for the rest, Jisoo filled me in." She looked down at her hands. "And if it wasn't for you..."

"You don't have to thank me, I only did the right thing."

"Yeah, but not everyone bothers to do the right thing," she smiled at him, and Ten felt himself blush. "So, I want to return the favour."

"No, no, it's fine. You don't owe me anything," he waved her off.

"Please, just let me. You have no idea how thankful I am."

Ten pressed his lips together, thinking. "Well, there is one thing. You can help me with the festival arrangements."

Y/N had eagerly agreed. And during that time, the two had gotten really close. Ten could tell that Y/N had started to like him as well. But he couldn't confess to her because he didn't want to lose her in case his assumptions about her liking him were wrong. But on the day of the laser tag, he just couldn't stop himself.

And now when he could finally have her, she was barely clinging to life. Ten took Y/N's hand in his own, carefully, so as to not mess with the IV. He used his other hand to cover his eyes, to stop the tears from falling. Then he felt a subtle pressure on his hand. He looked at the hand that held Y/N's and saw that her fingers were curled lightly around his. His heart started beating rapidly, and he looked at Y/N's face, searching for any signs of life. Her eyes were still closed but he could swear that her head was slightly tilted in his direction. Or was he hallucinating?

Then it happened. Her eyes slowly opened and settled on him. Ten got up abruptly and called for a doctor, then returned to Y/N's side and clasped her hand.

"Thanks for waking up," he whispered.

xxx

FINALLY! The second part is out!

Thank you @MissKpopTrash93 for this request.