Cherry tree (Jisung)

Y/N hated naps. But don't all ten year olds? She pouted as Miss Patricia tucked her into bed. "Go to sleep now, little girl," she said sternly. But as soon as Miss Patricia left their room she climbed down the ladder of the bunk bed to reach the one below her.

"Jisung." She shook the boy pretending to be asleep.

"What?" He asked.

"Let's sneak out," she whispered, so to not wake up the other napping kids.

"No," he shook his head. "Mr. Lee will find out." The orphanage was run by the intimidating man. Everyone was afraid of Mr. Lee, and for good reason. Even Y/N was afraid of him, but that didn't stop her from being mischievous.

"He won't find out," she insisted. "Besides, he's not here in the afternoon." Jisung reluctantly got up. The two snuck out of the dormitory and into the yard, while the rest of the kids were fast asleep.

"You stepped on the line!" Jisung exclaimed. Y/N looked down at her foot, frowning, which was indeed on a line. "I win," he said, grinning. After a few more rounds of hopscotch, they heard the creaking of the main gate.

Jisung froze, "I think Mr. Lee is back."

"There's no way," Y/N said, but the two ran all the same. The orphanage had low roofs, so with the assistance of a barrel, they had no problem climbing over one. From there, they saw Mr. Lee bringing his bicycle in.

"He'll check up on all the kids," Jisung said worriedly. Y/N looked at him with sympathy, he looked close to crying and it was all her fault.

"Let's go to the front yard, it's closer to the dormitory," Y/N suggested, earning an eager nod from Jisung.

Running on roofs like little mice, the two made their way to the front yard, unseen. They carefully lowered themselves down the roof with each other's help. But before they could make it to the dormitory, they heard footsteps. "Quick! The tree!" Y/N said frantically. The mice turned into squirrels as they climbed up the cherry tree in the centre on the yard. It was an easy climb, since the tree had a broad trunk and thick branches.

Y/N watched from behind the leaves as Mr. Lee came into view. He walked his bicycle toward them, making Y/N's heart clench. She was okay with herself getting caught, but Jisung was a different story. And besides, she had forced him to come with her.

Mr. Lee reached the cherry tree and pushed the kickstand of the bicycle with his foot to keep it stable. Y/N sighed in relief as he turned to leave. But just then, fate decided to play a cruel joke on them. A bunch of cherries loosened itself from the thin stalk and fell to the ground. Y/N instantly glanced at Jisung, but she couldn't see him properly due to the obstruction provided by leaves. Mr. Lee looked at the bunch on the ground, then looked up at the tree.

"You two!" He said loudly. "Why aren't you in bed?" The kids didn't answer. "Get down here this instant!"

Y/N heard Jisung shuffle. "Jisung, don't," she hissed. She knew Mr. Lee couldn't see them properly, all thanks to the dense growth of leaves. And he'd chop the tree down before he'd climb it.

"I'll teach you a lesson when I find you again." With that, he left. When he was completely out of sight, the kids climbed down cautiously. They sneaked into the dormitory and back into their beds. "Jisung, Mr. Lee doesn't know its us. And besides, he's old, he will forget it." Y/N tried to calm Jisung down. The boy nodded and let his head fall onto the pillow. Y/N climbed up and fell asleep.

That night at dinner, she tried not to look at Mr. Lee, in case he might remember. But luckily, he went about his usual business.

Y/N lay in bed the next day. She decided she was going to take a nap, albeit reluctantly. She felt her bed shake and then Jisung came into view. "Hey," he said with a grin, "wanna sneak out?" She looked at him wide-eyed, but then a grin formed on her face.

xxx

BASED ON A TRUE STORY (well, most of it.)
Not my story, my life isn't that interesting. It was a story my mom told me about her childhood, when she was supposed to be asleep but she snuck out to play. And then her father came, causing her to hide in a tree. But she was caught when a fruit dropped from her hand. But my grandfather forgot about it, just like Mr. Lee did.