Love is enough (Jaemin)

Y/N checked her reflection on the vanity mirror of her car. Her make-up needed a little touching up but she decided to do it when she reached the restaurant. Her phone began to ring as she buckled in her seatbelt. She smiled when she saw the caller ID.

"Oh hey, babe," she said into the phone and started the engine. "I was just about to leave. I'll be there in about twenty minutes."

"So you haven't left yet. Thank God," his words were rushed. Y/N had a bad feeling about this. She could feel her heart sinking. "Babe, I'm so sorry-"

"Don't. Don't say it. I'll be going to the restaurant and you had better be there Na Jaemin or so help me God."

"Y/N," he said helplessly.

"You can't do this to me again. It's what, the fifth time already."

"I know, I know, babe. And I'm so sorry. We were supposed to have the shoot tomorrow but it's rescheduled to today. The shoot is for the new album so I can't miss it," he explained. "I know you must be so upset. You were really looking forward to it-"

"What?" Y/N cut him off. She unbuckled her seatbelt and tried to control her fury by controlling her breathing. "I was looking forward to it? You weren't?"

"That's not what I meant. I'm-"

"I get it," she said and hung up. She felt tears pricking her eyes so she blinked them back. She exited the car and though she wanted so bad to slam the door shut, she did not. It was her car after all. Jaemin tried calling again but Y/N turned her phone off.

Going back to her apartment, she took off the dress she had spent half-an-hour picking and washed off the make-up she had spent another half-an-hour doing.

Her fury was so great that it could only be tamed by calling a friend over to rant and some ice cream.

When she turned on her phone at night she was flooded by a ton of missed calls and text messages from Jaemin. All of them either apologies, promises, or both. Y/N did not bother replying. She set up an alarm and fell into a restless sleep.

The next morning when Y/N headed out for her morning run she saw Jaemin on her front door. His hand was raised, hovering above the doorbell. Y/N let him in. She could not ignore him forever.

Jaemin poured out a string of apologies as soon as he settled on the couch but Y/N held up a hand, stopping him. "Don't apologize, Jaemin. You can not control your schedule," she said calmly.

Jaemin visibly relaxed. "Next time, let's-"

"No," Y/N said with the same calm tone. "I've had a lot of time to think and I was hoping it would not have to come to this but... there is no next time, Jaemin."

"What?" A look of confusion crossed his face which quickly changed to panic. "Are you breaking up with me?"

Y/N clenched her teeth. She hated the sound of that. "I don't want to but what choice do we have? We're clearly not ready for this relationship no matter how much we love each other."

"But that's it! We love each other. Love is what matters. It's enough."

"Love is enough you say. But look at us. I'm having a very hard time, Jaemin. And it's because I'm in love with you." Her voice finally broke.

"We'll figure something out," he held her hand in both of his. "Just give me one more chance, babe."

"Another chance at what? You can't change the fact that you're always busy. And whenever we don't meet I miss you a lot and I can't concentrate on other tasks. And whenever you cancel our plans like you did yesterday, it hurts me and upsets me." Tears were dripping down her cheeks. "My mind can't afford being depressed like this anymore. Parting with you will hurt like crazy but I choose that over being hurt every day." She retracted her hand from his grip. "Please understand, Jaemin."

Jaemin was silent and his eyes shone with unshed tears. He bent forward, placing his elbows on his knees. "Okay," he uttered quietly. Y/N wanted to embrace him, kiss him, and tell him to forget about the breakup. So it took a lot of courage to get up from the couch and go to her room, leaving Jaemin alone.

A while later, she heard the front door opening and shutting softly.

xxx

Thank you @BQMUNCHKIN_13 for requesting this!

Here's a meme in case you feel sad