Under the mistletoe (Jaehyun)

Y/N twirled the wine glass between her fingers and watched the juice with utter boredom. While the ladies in front talked about last year's Christmas.

"It seems the like children aren't having any fun," Y/N's mum said, passing a smile to her daughter. The girl shrugged in response and took a sip of the juice.

"Jaehyun, why don't you take her outside?" The boy's mother chimed in. "Oh! Show her the lights we hung up in the yard for Christmas. Y/N you like those things, don't you?"

Y/N was going to politely decline the offer but Jaehyun got up from his place and gestured for her to follow. Y/N had no choice but to go after him. She set her glass on the table and allowed him to lead her to the yard.

The place was beautifully decorated. She knew that when she had entered the house but the lights were off then, now that they were on the place looked completely transformed. The fairy lights wound around the tree trunks and branches, giving the place a warm glow in the chilly night. "Wow," the word left Y/N's mouth before she could stop herself. She felt a pair of eyes watching her so she turned her head to Jaehyun. He had an amused expression on his face, which caused Y/N's cheeks to heat up. Y/N cleared her throat and looked away. Jaehyun sat down on the porch. After a few moments, Y/N took a seat next to him and the two enjoyed the view in silence.

The minutes stretched and Y/N wondered if she should say something. In school, she never got a chance to talk to him since he was part of the popular crowd. And even when he was alone she would just walk by him, pretending not to know him. They used to be friends when they were little. Y/N vividly remembered waiting for the weekend and begging her mother to take her to the park to play with Jaehyun. But when they entered middle school they made new friends and saw each other less often. By the time they graduated to high school they were all but strangers. Even after all that time, Y/N's feelings for him had not changed.

She had wanted to talk to him but now that he was sitting a foot away with open ears, she didn't know what to say. "Do you still play basketball?" Jaehyun asked, surprising her. It was a little reassuring to find that he still remembered parts of her.

"Sometimes. When I have the time, that is," said Y/N. "What about you? Still scared of ghosts?" She asked teasingly.

Jaehyun laughed, "uh, no. It took me some time to realize that ghosts don't exist."

"Good for you," she said with a smile.

Jaehyun opened his mouth to say something but the door behind them opened. "Y/N, time to go, honey," said her mother. She turned around to leave but then stopped as her eyes landed on something above them. She smiled at the two and then went back inside.

Y/N turned her gaze upwards and her mouth fell open. They were standing beneath the mistletoe. She looked at Jaehyun, who had a similar expression of surprise. He had probably forgotten about the mistletoe. "I should go," she said and went back inside to retrieve her belongings.

After saying her goodbyes to Jaehyun's mother she followed her mother out. Jaehyun was sitting on the porch but he stood up as the door opened. Y/N's mother bid a warm farewell to Jaehyun and walked ahead. Y/N turned to Jaehyun to say goodbye but he beat her to it.

"I'll see you in school," he said. What? Did she hear correctly?

"Yeah, sure," she shook his hand and went outside.

One year later.

The lawn was brightly lit and beautiful. Y/N looked at it proudly. Hours of her hard work had finally paid off. Before she could go inside to wait for their guests she saw a car heading towards their house and park. Out stepped their guests. She grinned and waved at them.

"It looks lovely," said Jaehyun's mother. "Did you do it yourself?"

"I had help from dad," she explained.

"Well, it's wonderful," said Jaehyun.

"Thank you," She said shyly. "Please, come in," She said before opening the door for them. Jaehyun's mother stepped inside but before she could follow her, Jaehyun pulled Y/N by the arm. They took a few steps away from the door before Jaehyun raised his head. Y/N followed his line of sight and saw the mistletoe.

He grinned down at her, making dimples bloom in his cheeks and did what is to be done under the mistletoe.

xxx

Here's something after a long time. This awesome request was by @MissKpopTrash93

Stay safe everyone!