ch.19

chapter nineteen  - second huang

0:35 ━❍──────── -3:18
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

unedited

"She's coming soon, can you please leave? I've told you all I know, I'll ask your questions later," Renjun grumbled, his patience thinning warily as the woman in front of him sat unmoving in front of him. The male quirked his brow up, folding his arms curtly as he stared her down. "You need to leave,"

The pair was sat in the middle of a food court, at the place where Renjun had asked Aeri to meet him. He knew she was merely a few minutes away from her previous text letting him so, but it seemed that she took forever as he was occupied by something far less entertaining.

The woman who sat with him had long black hair that reached just above her bottom, hazel eyes that were similarly large and soft, and her nose looked almost as identical to the male.

"Don't talk to your younger sister like that. And must I remind you, your career and my life is on the line," She reprimanded, furrowing her brows together as her lips formed a deep frown. Her tone was cold and held a bite to it, making the older Huang roll his eyes in irritation.

Grumpily, he pinched his temple between his fingers. He could feel his head begin to throb. Something about his sister and her demanding nature drained him, especially these past few weeks."Suyin, I'm serious. Aeri is meeting me in a few minutes and I rather not have you here on our date,"

"Whatever, but remember what I told you," She hissed, picking up the cup of hot chocolate her brother had bought her that had ran cold.

"Yeah, Yeah," Renjun nodded numbly, putting in the minimum effort to show that he understood. He transferred his head to his palm, where his chin sat— comfortably held up by his propped up arm.

Just as Suyin began to raise from the chair, Renjun gazed past his sister's body, spotting a familiar brunette at the food court entrance.

"Aeri's here," He announced, immediately pushing himself up as well, raising one hand to gain his girlfriend's attention. "Aeri! Suyin, please leave," Immediately recognizing his honey-like voice, she spotted him and began to make her way there— seeing a familiar head of hair block part of her boyfriend's figure.

She quintes her eyes suspiciously, eyeing the woman up and down, but as the girl turned adn Aeri caught a glimpse of her side profile, her heart began to beat at a steady pace again.

"Okay, I'm going. Geez, sometimes you make me believe that—"

"Oh Suyin, it's been so long!"Aeri gushed, throwing an arm around the younger's neck, chuckling happily to be reunited with an old friend. She had finally made it to the siblings and happily enveloped the girl in a side embrace. "I remember when you'd always come over to Jisung's or mines when we had band practices in high school,"

"Yeah.." The ravenette muttered sheepishly, scratching the back of her head. Suyin had always been so awkward around Aeri that even years later, the older didn't mind it one bit. It was just her personality, she assumed.

"Aeri, Suyin needs to visit our mother," Renjun cut into their one-sided reunion.

Apologetically, the brunette's eyes turned to the other's. "Oh. Okay," The older female removed her limb and smiled sheepishly. "See you around?" She asked in hopes to reconnect again.

Suyin fixed her shirt, before replying curtly. "Maybe," Before Aeri could speak again to arrange plans or exchange numbers, the youngest huang had rushed off— already out of sight and earshot.

"Does she feel awkward because of Haneul?" Renjun froze, eyes widened at her sudden words.

"What?" His shock didn't go unnoticed, but it was taken rather lightly.

Aeri's chuckled lowly as she sat down, and scooted closer to the table. "I know her and Haneul were friends during the time of her and Jisung's little moment, but I don't hold anything against her. She didn't know. Can you let her know that I don't resent her?"

Renjun was taken aback. He didn't quite expect for the woman to nonchalantly talk about the topic, but she kept surprising him.

"Yeah, I'll tell her," He assured, nodding slowly as his eyes racked over her distant expression. She stared off to her sides, examining the people around her. It was only a few moments of silence, but Renjun thought it felt like an eternity— something creeping at his back. It was like a rollercoaster drop that you would forever anticipate, but it would never come.

"Anyway," Aeri shook her head, dismissing her oddly quiet behavior. "I was surprised you texted, I didn't know how long you were gonna keep up with the silent treatment," She teased, turning her head forward. She expected to be met with her boyfriend's usual crescent eyes and bright laughter, but all she had received was an undeniable chill. It ran marathons up her spine, and left her a victim to her intrusive thoughts.

Renjun squinted his eyes at her, almost as if he didn't recognize any of the words that passed her lips.

"You're imagining things. I never ignored you, I was busy," He insisted. His dark brows furrowed together as he watched her own expression morph into one of confusion.

"Oh, you could have told me so I could have stopped bothering you—"

Renjun didn't wait for her to finish. "The last thing I need to do is tell you what i'm doing when you don't even tell me," The male grunted, his lips ducking down to his straw— quenching his thirst momentarily before speaking again. "I didn't come here to argue,"

"Neither did I," Aeri croaked, her voice shakily steadying itself as her anxiety began to ripple at the back of her mind. She felt a sudden breeze pass the back side of her neck, making her freeze into a statue in her seat. She didn't know what had suddenly gotten into him.

"Well it seems like the opposite," The two toned haired male retorted, crumbling his straw wrapping in his palm.

Aeri's eyes glanced back and forth between his hooded apathetic gaze and the whitening knuckles of his hands that sat on the table besides his drink. She felt almost exasperated. She couldn't help but be cautious, yet at the same time she couldn't stop the words from slipping off her tongue.

"What do you want me to do? It sounds like every word I say pisses you off. Do you want me to sit silently and look pretty?" She scoffed raggedly, crossing her arms defensively across her chest. She leant back in her seat, meeting his orbs with her glare— as if challenging him to speak again.

"I'm sorry, baby, I'm just really stressed out from the competition, I know you probably are too," Renjun cooed, his composure softening as he took a hold of Aeri's reluctant hand and pressed the back of her skin to his lips.

"What song are you guys singing for the next round?"

"Renjun, I don't wanna think about this right now," Aeri mumbled, drawing back her hand to her chest.

A look of pain flashed in her boyfriend's eyes, and for a moment she regretted taking her hand back, but things began to get too much for her. She rubbed her palms together, creating a heat to warm herself with the friction.

It felt like the room had dropped in temperature. She didn't know what was going on.