ch.38

chapter thirty-eight - mixed signals

0:35 ━❍──────── -3:18
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

unedited

tw: pills, over dosing, ptsd

Jaemin came beside her— rushing down the staircase to the living room in step with Aeri. "I heard Jisung yell, what'd you do?" He asked, causing the woman to snap her head in his direction— brows knitted together in offense.

"Why do you automatically think it's me who did something?" The raven haired boy gave her a pointed look, with one brow raised. It was as if he didn't believe her— and he was correct, of course. Aeri's shoulders slumped and she turned away from his knowing gaze. As their feet met the flooring of the corridor, she gave in. "Okay fine, I looked in a black shoe box on his desk—"

"Bitch you did not," he gasped. Immediately his footsteps halted, and he grabbed her wrist making her mirror his actions.

She turned to him in confusion. "Why?"

"He doesn't let any of us even touch that thing. But what was in there?" Naturally, her cheeks began to heat up, and something squeezed at her heart.

Aeri clenched her eyes shut, and it felt like forever had passed before she opened them again— regaining a sort of firm composure enough to speak steadily. "My old love letters," She breathed out tiredly, as if the four words carried so much weight that as she spoke them into the silence, bricks fell from the slope of her shoulders.

Jaemin's breathing stilled.

He froze to his feet, looking down at the girl in surprise. Considering their history, it was the last thing he had expected Jisung to be overly protective over. "What are you going to do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Since you found this out, are you gonna touch the subject with him or sweep it under the rug and ignore it?" Jaemin rephrased his original question, and this time, the woman understood.

Aeri shrugged, her grip on the hem of her hoodie tightening between her fingers. "I have so many questions recently that I might as well try with this,"

"We should go in the living room first," Following the male, Aeri and Jaemin entered the room. Defeatedly, Chenle and Mark sat on the couch. Before she could question where the others were, the person she had been wanting to talk to entered. His hardened face turned impossibly colder as he locked eyes with her determined ones.

Immediately, she grabbed his wrist— ignoring the little jolt in her grasp, and pulled him to a corner. It was now or never.