ch.24

chapter twenty-four  - wildfire

chapter twenty-four - wildfire.
0:35 ━❍──────── -3:18
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Clad in coordinating red outfits, Fever Dream sat preoccupied in their dressing room. It was the day of Round 2 performances, and as usual they were confident in their song choice.

Interrupting their current discussion for their plans for after the filming, the door opened.

Renjun's head peaked out from behind the frame, making everyone, even the make up and hair staff turn in his direction.

"Oh ba— Renjun!" Aeri immediately corrected her words, scolding herself internally as she almost let her lovey pet name slip. The men of FD quickly shot her a reminding glare to not mess up as they had unknowing staff in the room.

The brunette nodded, and hurried over to the door, opening it wider to allow the male inside.

"Isn't that a member of another band?" A hairstylist commented warily, glancing between the two toned haired boy and the jittery female.

Mark instantly laughed, cutting her suspicions short in worry of being exposed right there and then. "Yeah, but we're friends from high school. We're practically siblings! Right, Aeri?" His tone was extremely high pitched, and it was obvious to his close friends that he was lying, but luckily the others hadn't picked up the different tone he used.

The mentioned woman stiffened. Her nervous grip on Renjun's bicep tightened as she forced herself to smile— her teeth gritting unnoticeably.

"Yes. He's like my brother," She forced out, while patting the boy's chest quite harshly.

Thankfully, the staff members laughed and giggled, nodding their heads in understanding. They were oblivious.

"It must be sad to compete against each other!" One cooed with jutted lips— pouting at the thought of going against a close friend.

Jisung scoffed under his breath, but continued to keep up the act. He finally inputted whilst walking up to Aeri. "It's all just fun and games," He chuckled, and threw his arm over his 'girlfriend's' shoulders right as he approached the couple. "What are you doing here, anyway, Renjun?"

The venom laced with the male's name flew over the staff members' heads, as they believed it was just joking banter.

The younger wanted to let out a color set of vocabulary— telling the male to leave— however feeling the burn of the staff's and his member's stares on his back, made him stop.

Renjun, amused by their act, only laughed for a second. He shook his head, scoffing under his breath as well. He was bitter.

"If it's not important, we can talk later, we're getting ready—"

"I just wanted to drop off Aeri's lunch. As her brotherly friend, I care for her well-being and want her to eat well," The Huang raised up a plastic bag of takeout in front of the pair's face.

Not wasting another second, Jisung snatched it out of the male's hands and reopened the door— urging him out with his free palm.

"Thanks, we'll both enjoy the food," Without another word from Renjun, the Park slammed the door in his face, making Aeri pinch his side in annoyance.

"What?" He gritted, whispering, in case of nosy ears.

"You can't just kick him out like that," She hissed in a firm tone, but Jisung rolled his eyes— dismissing her concern.

"Well he's not your boyfriend right now, is he?"

. . .

Once the men had finished getting their make up and hair done and the staff left, they decided to go over the lyrics of their selected song.

The last thing they wanted was to forget the lyrics.

They had already pushed the previous series of events behind them, and acted as if Renjun hadn't visited at all. How could they focus on him when they were already on a high from their win in the video mission since as expected the kiss had skyrocketed their popularity.

For 24 hours straight their ship name, Aesung, was trending at number one on twitter. 

Things were looking up for them, so much that Jisung and Aeri had gotten used to coexisting in the group. They no longer argued about small things, but kept to themselves to prevent conflict, though there was still lingering tension, but way less than before.

Their cooperation even went as far to dismissing the whole scene between Renjun and them.

[refer to video above :: start 1:50]

"But when you told me the story, I felt like throwing up," Jisung sang calmly. His eyes were clenched shut in concentration as he sank back into their room's couch, head tilted up to the ceiling.

Sat next to him, Jeno slapped his leather clad thigh to the song's beat, keeping the group on track.

Aeri nodded softly as she began to transition to her part of the song. "I could see it on your face, it was rough," She sat in one of the empty make up chairs, elbows leant down to her knees as her back hunched over in a comfortable position. Her eyes were glued to her fan-gifted rings, watching as the metal-engraved name of Jisung shimmered under the basic room lighting. "Left a bad taste on your tongue and she didn't even take any drugs. She would rain all day, couldn't wait for her son to shine. And you made it shine. There when she cried. You saved her life"

"Go ahead and cry little girl, nobody does it like you do," The male's deep rasp filtered through their ears, layering over the woman's for his section. A shudder ran down Aeri's back, making her sit up straight. Immediately her eyes locked with Jisung's. "I know how much it matters to you. I know that you got daddy issues. And if you were my little girl—"

"Next up! The Rose!" Their room's television volume raised significantly as the commercial break had ended, introducing the next band.

Instantly, all of the Fever Dream members' voices and instruments silenced as they turned their attention towards the screen.

Jisung sneered, watching as Renjun's face was zoomed in on just as the beginning part of their song played.

Immediately, their faces drained of color, and they felt a fire light up at their stomachs and it spread throughout their body like a wildfire. Their skins were hot as their bones began to shake in anger.

"Take you like a drug," Renjun sang, and suddenly, they interpreted his smile as a smirk— as if mocking them through the screen.

"Fucking bastard,"

. . .

surprise, daddy issues won ;)