F O R T Y S I X

"Come on, Helen

"Come on, Helen. This is ridiculous. Don't you think you're overreacting just a little?" My dad says, attempting to calm her down.

"No, I don't. You and your RUDE daughter are not welcome here anymore. I gave you a chance, and she threw it back in my face. I allowed you both to stay here in our home instead of a hovel of a hotel room, and this is the thanks I get!" She yells.

Snob.

"What even happened?" My dad sighs

"She-" Helen begins, before I decide enough is enough, and interrupt her.

"From the moment we arrived, you've been on my case. I have done nothing to you. You have some weird vendetta against me and my dad, and like I said earlier, we all know why. I'm sure my dad does too, even if he wants to ignore it for the sake of peace. And if you must know, Helen. I was out all day visiting my mom. When was the last time YOU visited her?" I snap.

She stutters, scoffing and crossing her arms. I can feel my dad's gaze burning into the back of my head. I can sense his sadness. 

"Have you packed your things yet?" She jibes.

I roll my eyes and chuckle in disbelief. 

"I'm going to the bar." Kevin, my uncle mutters, walking out the door.

"I don't think s-" She protests, but Kevin has already slammed the door behind him. 

Now all remains is Helen and Rachel, on one side of the room, and me and my dad, on the other. 

There's an awkward silence, all of us just staring at each other. This feels like an old western shootout.

My dad sighs, breaking the silence. 

"We're going home." He says, his eyes burning into Helen's. He's holding back. He's not letting the anger building inside of him take over.

He hates confrontation, and will do anything to avoid it, even if there's blatant racism being thrown in his face. He will walk away. He's learnt how to over the years.

Let it out, Dad!

"What, you don't have anything to say, Michael?" She spits.

But I'm not like my dad.

I take one step forward, and raise my finger, pointing it just inches from her face.

"You need to learn when to stop. Don't you DARE try to take advantage of my dad's kind nature. Because you know he won't retaliate. But guess what, bitch? I will." I hiss.

"Willow! Enough. Let's go." My dad says, gently grabbing my arm and pulling me away. 

I watch as they both stand there, arms crossed, an evil smirk on their faces. Just looking at the their expression is now making me reach boiling point.