T H I R T Y E I G H T

Josie and I sit in the food court of the local mall, sharing a basket of french fries

Josie and I sit in the food court of the local mall, sharing a basket of french fries. She looks happy, as if she's not telling me something.

"So, anything new?" I ask, my mouth full.

She grins, trying to hide it, but fails. She lets out a shy giggle, and swallows the food in her mouth.

"Yoongi asked me out on a date." She smiles bashfully, hiding her face. I smile widely and giggle with her, squealing quietly.

"That's great!" I exclaim joyfully.

I haven't seen much of Yoongi since we had that little argument in the schools cafeteria. I know he's not a bad person, he's just an asshole. But I could tell straight off the bat Josie liked him, and I got the same vibe from him too.

"When is it?" I ask.

"Tonight. He won't tell me where we're going, though." She can't wipe the excited smile from her face. Her cheeks are red and her chin is rested in her palm, giggling still.

"Aw, I'm happy for you!"

"I've wanted to suck his dick the second I saw him." She sighs. I choke on the fry in my mouth, and stare at her wide eyed in shock.

"Jesus, no filter." I laugh.

"Honestly I'm hoping he just takes me to his house so we can have sex. I've been waiting for a month for this opportunity." She whines. 

"Wow. You got it bad, huh?" I chuckle, taking a sip of my milkshake.

"Really bad." She laughs, nodding her head.

"Well, I hope you have sex." I laugh nervously.

"Hmm, thank you." She hums cheerily, popping a fry in her mouth.

"What about you?" She suddenly asks, swallowing her food. I look up at her and freeze, gulping.

"What about me?" I respond, stuttering.

"Well, those hickeys aren't from nobody are they? Whose the lucky guy?" 

The secrets and the lies are starting to become exhausting. I've been denying everything for 2 months, and there's so much I can say. It's getting difficult to avoid it.

"Okay." I begin, leaning forward on the table, my arms propped under my chest. She smiles and leans in with me.

"I've been sleeping with someone for 2 months. But we've decided to keep things on the down low. It's a really... complicated situation. So nobody knows, and nobody can know." I admit, a weight being lifted off my shoulders.

I sigh contently and lean back in my chair, satisfied and relief washing over me.

"You can't tell me who it is?" She asks.

"No." I reply bluntly.

"Damn." 

"Uh- Speaking of..." I begin, trailing off. I clear my throat nervously and lean back forward against the table.