T H R E E

"You'll be given an assignment. I expect you all to present it by the end of this week." He says, his voice loud and assertive.

The class is intense. I've spent the majority of it with my head down, trying to keep up as fast as I can, taking down notes. He's incredibly intimidating, yet brilliant at the same time. I feel inspired, the way he explains the basics of English Literature, the concepts behind fiction and character building is eye opening. 

He walks around his desk and begins to pace down one aisle of students, placing thick booklets of paper on each desk. I can feel myself getting more and more nervous as I watch him approach me, his footsteps becoming louder as he comes closer.

He looks down at me, catching my eyes. He stares at me for a couple of seconds, before he places a booklet down on my desk slowly, proceeding to walk behind me and further down the aisle. 

I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding. Why is he making me feel this way? I feel singled out, as if he's trying to intimidate me on purpose. Is it because I'm not from here? 

I mentally shake my head, and grab the assignment workbook, placing it in my bag. I watch him as he continues handing out the booklets, before making his way back to the front of the class.

He lifts his head, carefully eyeing each student individually. 

"Class dismissed." He says, his tone low. 

Everybody gets up from their desks at the same time, heading out of the room in an orderly line. I watch their behaviour, slightly confused. Is it just how the schools are in Korea that everybody is so orderly, or is it just in the presence of Mr. Kim? 

I grab my bag and stand up, throwing it over my shoulder. I tuck my chair under the desk, keeping my head down as I'm too afraid to make eye contact with him. 

"Miss Collins." He mutters.

I look up and spot him sitting at his desk, leaned back, twirling a pen between his fingers.

"Yes, Sir?" I respond, freezing on the spot, an overwhelming sense of fear taking over me.

"Do you have a moment?" He asks, his eyes burning into mine.

I swallow hard, my breathing beginning to pick up.

"Yes." 

He raises his free hand and gestures for me to come closer. I approach his desk slowly, gripping onto the handle of my bag tightly, my legs beginning to shake.

I stand opposite him, desperately trying to cover my heavy breathing. He continues to stare at me, an intense gaze that makes me feel on edge, as if I'm a piece of meat.

"I hope you understand I can't be teaching every class speaking only in English. How is your Korean, how much do you know?" 

"N-None, Sir." I stutter, biting the inside of my lip nervously.

He inhales deeply, before letting out an exacerbated sigh. He sits forward, his chair creaking quietly with his movement. 

"May I see your notes?" He asks, holding out his hand. 

My eyes widen, before I fidget with the zip on my bag, clumsily pulling my notebook out and placing it in his palm. 

He leans back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other as he opens it. I watch as his eyes scan across the page, an unreadable expression on his face, his lips pouted slightly in concentration. 

"Hmm." He hums, nodding his head.

He clicks his tongue, closing the book before passing it back to me. He leans his elbows on the surface of his desk, joining his hands together as his eyes make their way to mine again, a tiny smile forming on his lips.