F O R T Y O N E

Two days and counting until it marks five years. 

I lay in Rachel's bed, staring up at the ceiling. It's early, about 6am, and I can't go back to sleep. I ended up passing out cold around 8pm last night, exhausted from the flight. 

I hear a soft knocking on the door, and I turn my head, watching as the door opens. Helen stands in the doorway, completely dressed, hair done and heavy makeup. 

"Breakfast will be ready in five minutes. You should make your way down." She says, her voice monotone. I look away from her and continue to stare up at the ceiling, and I see the door close in my peripheral vision.

Why is breakfast ready at 6am? What kind of backwards family is this?

I sigh and throw the covers off me, standing from the bed and grabbing my suitcase from under the bed. I open it and take one of my hoodies out, pulling it over my head. I freshen up in the bathroom, and make my way down the stairs.

I walk through into the dining room, and everyone sits at the table, my dad included. He looks tired and dishevelled. He hates being woken up, especially at an early time like this. I know he's dying inside.

I take my place next to him, and he looks at me, rolling his tired eyes subtly. I stifle a giggle and purse my lips, trying not to laugh. I notice Rachel glaring at me from the opposite end of the table, and she sighs irritably. 

"Breakfast is served." Helen says, setting the plates down in front of us. 

I stare at the plate and knit my brows, scrunching my face.

"What is it?" I mutter, moving the food around on the plate with the fork.

"Tofu omelette with chickpeas, refried beans and mashed avocado." She says, sitting down at the table.

"Um..." I mumble, inspecting it more clearly. It looks disgusting.

"It's vegan. We don't consume animal products in this household." She says, as if telling me that if we don't like it, well then tough shit.

"I'm allergic to tofu." I lie, pushing the plate away. 

The entire blonde family lift their heads at the same time and looks up at me, a shocked look on their faces.

"So am I." My dad chimes in, pushing his plate away also.

I quickly turn my head and look at him, trying to hide my smile. He gives me a knowing look, and turns back to them.

"Oh..." Helen mumbles, clearing her throat.

"It's fine. Willow and I will go out for breakfast." He says, pushing his chair out and standing up, He looks down at me, inhaling a deep breath.

"IHOP?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. 

I let out a breath of relief and immediately stand up.

"Please!" I exclaim.

"Go get dressed. Meet you outside." He says, speed walking out of the room. I follow him, dashing out of the room and up the stairs, into Rachel's room and rummaging through my suitcase.

I throw on some jeans and comb my hair through, and put on my favorite pair of converse. I jog down the stairs and head straight for the front door, running out to meet my dad at the end of the driveway.

"Kevin said I could take his car. He's alright, I guess." He chuckles. I laugh with him and we jump in the car, speeding off excitedly towards the IHOP we used to go to before we moved. 

We pull into the parking lot, and practically race inside, grabbing a table and eyeing the menu. My mouth waters, my stomach growling and my appetite becoming monstrous.