T H I R T Y F I V E

I walk to the meet up point, and I see his car parked in the usual spot, the engine running. I walk up to the passenger side door and open it, getting inside.

I'm not really in the mood, I'm still reeling from the news my dad told me just minutes prior. But hopefully this'll take my mind off it, and he'll offer me a distraction.

I turn to face him, and give him a weak smile, clicking my seatbelt in and looking ahead of me. 

"You look nice." He mutters, starting the engine. 

I immediately blush. I turn to him and smile bashfully, and look down at my hands in my lap, trying to hide my shy reaction. 

He chuckles and rests his hand on my thigh, squeezing it slightly before taking it away and putting it on the gear stick, driving down the road.

Whilst driving, he suddenly places his hand back down on my upper thigh. His touch is warm and comforting, and I relax into the seat, slumping down and looking out the window to my right. 

I slide my hand down my leg and intertwine my fingers with his on my thigh, which he reacts, his hand holding mine, and his fingers curled around my hand. 

Warmth pools in my chest, and a small, quiet content breath escapes my lips, unable to hide the smile from my face. I squeeze his hand tighter, never wanting to let go.

I tried to fight the feelings that were developing, but I failed. Over the last few weeks that we'd spent together, it was inevitable. I realize the way I feel about him is deeper than I ever thought would be possible.

I don't know if it's love, because I've never been in love. I don't know how it feels. But I think I'm on that track. 

We pull up in his driveway, and I untangle my fingers from his, unbuckling the seatbelt and getting out the car. He unlocks the door and allows me to walk in first. I kick my shoes off and stand in the entryway, waiting for him.

"Go upstairs, I'll meet you up there in a second." He says, locking the door. I nod my head and walk up the steps, and into his bedroom, closing the door behind me.

I flop onto the bed and sigh, still feeling the tight feeling in my chest. I lay down on top of the covers on my side, my back to the door. A single tear falls, and I quickly wipe it away when I hear the door open behind me.

I stay still on the bed, and I close my eyes, trying to cover my face with my hand. I can hear his slow footsteps, and I feel the bed dip behind me.

He places his hand on my arm, and gently turns me over onto my back. I look up at him, and his eyes lock with mine as he stares down at me. His eyes are soft, his brows furrowed in concern.

"What's wrong? You've been quiet since you got in the car." He says, gently caressing the skin of my arm with his thumb.

"Nothing. I'm okay." I lie, smiling at him weakly. I sit up and he looks at me, his lips pursed. He sighs quietly and shifts on the bed, moving closer to me.

He cups my cheek in his hand and turns my head to face him. He leans in closer to my face and I fidget under his gaze.

"Tell me what's wrong." He says. "Is it me? Am I too rough with you?" He asks, worry in his tone.

I jolt and wave my hands, shaking my head frantically.

"No, no! It's not you, I promise." I say quickly, grabbing his hand from my cheek and resting it in my lap, tangling my fingers with his.

"Then talk to me. You can tell me anything. Whatever is on your mind, I want you to get it off your chest." He says softly, leaning in and placing a sweet, long lasting kiss on my forehead.