O N E

I wake up naturally to the sound of birds chirping outside the bay window in my bedroom, along with the sunlight creeping in through the gaps of the curtains. I stretch and groan tiredly in my bed, sighing as I lick my dry lips. 

Today is the day.

I suddenly remember that today marks the first day at my new school. My heart jumps in my chest and my stomach turns in nerves as I sit upwards. 

We moved to South Korea a week ago. My father works for a technology company founded in Korea, and he was offered a huge promotion. Unfortunately, it required us to move for the opportunity.

I've been dreading this moment for months. I can barely speak the language, and as a mixed race black woman, I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb in a predominantly Korean school. I'm a very reserved person, I hate attention and the last thing I want is all eyes on me as the new foreign dark skinned girl.

"Willow, are you up?" I hear my dad's voice through the wall, followed by soft knocking on my door. I turn my head and rub my eyes, biting my lip in anxiety.

"Yeah." I mumble. I throw my legs over the side of the bed and approach my door, opening it just a crack as I peak my head through. 

"Get ready, you don't want to be late." He smiles, his dark brown eyes sparkling as they look into mine. I return his smile and nod my head, closing the door to get ready for the day.

I quickly walk into my attached bathroom, washing up and brushing my teeth. I apply light makeup as I look at myself in the mirror. My heart races, my cheeks starting to burn at the thought of being completely out of my comfort zone. 

I attempt to calm my erratic breathing. I close my eyes and inhale deeply, followed my exhaling slowly. I clutch my hand to my chest in an attempt to soothe my heart rate before finally opening my eyes. 

Just one year.

I keep telling myself we'll only be here for one year, two tops. I need to grin and bear it, nothing in life is permanent. 

I walk out of my bathroom and back into my bedroom, gradually approaching the closet. I open it up and see the school uniform staring back at me. It's awful. It's a dark green colour, with a black blazer, black skirt and black patent shoes. 

I quickly undress from my pyjamas and redress myself in the uniform, patting my skirt down as I look into the floor length mirror on the wall.

I'd love nothing more than to just wear my ripped jeans and oversized hoodie, but in Korea they have uniform policies in their school. Again, something I'm not accustomed to. 

I hate change. I was utterly content with my life back home in Florida. My school, my house... even the cliques I was never apart of. I'd exchange this in a heartbeat for that. 

But most importantly, my mom is there. She's in plot 207 of Hemsworth Cemetery, where she's been for the last four years. 

Three months ago, when my dad told us we'd be moving across the world, I was furious. I blew up in anger, I couldn't control it. I'd visit her grave every Saturday morning, it had become a tradition of mine, one I'd do alone. I hadn't missed a day in four years. So to be told that we'd be living in an entirely different country, where it was impossible for me to see her felt like a knife through my heart.

But this is an amazing opportunity for my dad, and as much as it hurts, I can't be selfish. He told me we'd only be here for a year, and that we can come back home, to our city, to our house, back to my school where I was comfortable. 

So, I accepted it. It still hurts, I still feel like breaking down everyday at the thought of her so far away, but I remain strong, and I tell myself that I will see her again. 

I hear a faint knocking on my door, pulling me out of my train of thought. 

"Willow?" I hear my dad's soft voice, followed by the noise of the doorknob turning. I turn my head and catch him opening the door.

He peaks his head around the corner, making sure I'm decent before he opens the door fully and walks inside, closing it behind him.

"What's up?" I respond, walking towards my bed and sitting down on the edge. He sits beside me, a heavy sigh escaping his lips.

"I wanna talk to you for a minute." He mutters, his eyes glued to the floor. 

I swallow hard, anticipating his next move, nervous due to his body language.

"Okay..." I trail off cautiously.

"I know you're not happy." He begins, his voice low and sympathetic. I purse my lips in a straight line and let out a small sigh, knowing this conversation was coming at some point.

"But, I want you to make the most out of this year, so I looked into literature classes. Your school offers an excellent class, one of the best in the country." He says, lifting his head and turning to look at me. 

"What?" I blurt out, blinking rapidly as I stare at him, my mouth agape. 

"The teacher who runs the class is actually a famous and successful author in Korea. He's been dubbed as revolutionary by his peers." He beams, a smile on his face.

"If you pass his class, you're offered a publishing deal, the chance to work with him and a scholarship into university for creative writing." He continues.

I stare at him wide eyed, before a huge smile dances it's way onto my lips. I rush forward and wrap my arms around his large frame, hugging him tightly as I bury my face in his neck. The coarse hairs of his thick beard stab into my skin, but his sweet, nostalgic scent fills my nose. 

"Thank you so much." I mumble into his neck, feeling the backs of my eyes beginning to burn with unshed tears. 

This is the best news I've ever heard. It's my dream to become a published author. My mom loved reading. I grew up with Ernest Hemmingway, Mark Twain and Charles Dickens. She would read Great Expectations to me every night, which ultimately became my favorite novel, as well as hers. 

She supported me relentlessly in my dream, and when she passed, I fell into a dark hole. I stopped reading, I stopped writing, I gave up on inspiration and everything around me became numb. But in the last year, I told myself that she wouldn't want this. She'd want me to continue and to be strong. 

I got back into reading and writing, and I'd never felt more alive. I got my motivation back, I felt like myself again. 

I turned 18 two months ago, and that's when I decided I'm really going to go for it. And with the opportunity in this class, maybe I can finally do this. Not just for me, but for my mom too.

My dad pulls away from the hug, sighing contently. He pats my head and pecks my forehead, caressing my hair lovingly. 

"Finish getting ready, we gotta leave in 10 minutes." He says, standing from the bed. I nod and stand with him, rummaging in my drawer for my school supplies, and throwing them in my bag. 

I pull the bag over my shoulder, feeling a spring in my step. The nerves are gone, replaced with excitement. 

I can't wait to be in this class, to meet this teacher, and to have my mind opened in ways I'd never experienced before.

"Ready?" My dad chirps, standing in the doorway.

"As I'll ever be." I smile.

A/N: First chapter officially out finally! Sorry I kept you all waiting so long. But this is going to be my most in depth story I've written, and possibly the longest too. I have MANY ideas for this book, and I'm excited for you all to come on this journey with me, Willow and Jin!! ♥