Chapter 4

Steve jolted awake. Memories of what happened yesterday in the mineshaft haunted him in his dreams. He looked around. Porkchops was looking at him with what almost looked like concern.

"Stop actin' like my guardian pig," he said to Porkchops. "You're the one who needs protecting." The pig looked at him as if reminding him of what happened yesterday. "Whatever," Steve said, and he walked out into the sunlight.

He looked around. Still plains everywhere, but he thought he saw a lake far ahead of him. There was a Zombie sort of nearby, running around frantically as he burned to death.  Steve watched the stupid monster die, then set off in the direction of the lake, hoping to find food along the way.

While he was walking, Porkchops caught up to him and walked alongside Steve. He found the pig slightly annoying, how it acted all macho around Steve, but at least it was something to talk to.

Steve was getting a little hungry. There were still no animals in sight, and the lake still looked pretty far away. The only source of food he had was...the pig.

Steve looked at Porkchops. Porkchops stared back. Only if I get desperate, he thought. They kept walking.

They continued on and on, under the sweltering hot sun. Steve felt like he would catch fire like that Zombie he saw. And he was slowly getting hungrier.

More walking. Steve was starving now. He kept looking at Porkchops and seeing actual cooked porkchops. So...hungry... Steve thought.

Suddenly, they were in front of the lake.  It was small and irregularily shaped, with sand bordering it. There was a cluster of about fifteen birch and oak trees near it. And the best part was, there were four cows on the other side of the lake!

"Food!" Steve yelled, and ran towards the cows. He was starving to the point of insanity. He didn't even know where Porkchops had gone.

Steve ran to the cows, who looked up at him questionably. He got out his stone sword, and slaughtered all four of them. He then picked up the seven beef they dropped and ate four of them, raw. He felt sanity filling him again, and he stared in horror at what he'd just done. He had killed four innocent cows, just because he was hungry! He looked back to where he came. Porkchops was running back that way, away from Steve.

"Porkchops, wait!" Steve called. The pig didn't look back. "Ugh..." Now he was alone.

Either way, this seemed like a good spot to build his house. And the sun was on its way down, so he might as well start now. First, Steve dug some sand with his wooden shovel to make glass. Then he made a furnace and another crafting table (because he left the other one in his shelter), and placed them. He put the sand in the furnace and two coal for fuel, and went to cut down some of the birch and oak trees. After making some into planks, he started building his house. It wasn't very decorative, but it was a good start.

Steve finally finished just as the sun set. He placed torches around, then scampered inside and sat, waiting for sleep to come. It would be a lot easier if he had a bed, but there were no sheep around for wool. So, he waited.

While he sat, he thought. How did someone take my memories away anyway? And why would they want to? Am I the only one? If so, why am I so special? Whatever the case, he was determined to get them back. He wanted to remember his parents, siblings, friends, maybe even a lover. Are they worrying about me? Or did they all move on? Steve wanted to be loved again. He would get them back, no matter what the cost.

Then Steve's mind drifted to Porkchops. The poor pig was still out there somewhere. He shouldn't have killed those cows in front of Porkchops. But, he knew he had to kill the cows, or he would've gone crazy. Now Porkchops was probably scared out of his mind with all the monsters roaming the plains.

Suddenly, Steve heard a noise. It is very hard to describe, but Steve would know that noise anywhere.

An Enderman.

Steve stood up on his birch and oak wood planked floor. He looked out the windows on either side of him. He didn't see anything. Then he looked out the back window facing the lake. He saw movement out there. Instantly he knew it was the Enderman he heard. Steve didn't look directly at it, or it would kill him. Instead he looked at it out of the corner of his eye. It placed a sand block it was holding. Then it stepped in the water. It made a noise of anger, and teleported away. (Note: Endermen are hurt by water. I forgot to say that in the Prologue.)

At least it was gone now. Steve sat down, but jumped right back up again. He heard the Enderman again, this time much closer. He looked at his double doors. Only they weren't double doors anymore. One of them was missing, a hole in its place. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the Enderman walking, holding the door.

Steve ran to the hole and placed the two cobblestone he had left. He wasn't going to make another door now, because he was out of wood. So, he waited.

The Enderman was walking along the side of the house. Steve made sure not to look directly at it. Then, the Enderman teleported away. Steve had no idea where it went. He slumped against the wall and let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. Then, he drifted off to sleep.

* * *

Steve bolted upright. He looked around. It was still night time. But it felt like something had changed. He looked around. Everything seemed normal in his house. The crafting table in one corner, the furnace cooking the beef in the other corner.

He leaned back against the cobblestone he was slumped against. Only the cobble wasn't there. Steve fell backwards out of the house. Luckily, he was on the first, and only, floor.

He was staring up at the night sky. But then, something leaned into his view. Something holding a block of cobblestone.

The Enderman. Staring right into his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading, and make sure you vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist