Chapter 13

"Let this pig be an example of what you will become once Mojang is through with you, Steve," Beta said menacingly.

And with that, he plunged the arrow deep into Porkchops' heart.

Steve looked away. He didn't want to see the light leaving Porkchops' eyes. He knew there was nothing he could do, so he grabbed his slingshot-like device and jumped from the ledge, which slingshotted him up to the top of the ravine.

He landed on the grass above, and immediately started running.

Steve ran, not knowing where he was going. He had tears in his eyes, but he didn't stop to wipe them away. That last battle in the ravine had really taken a toll on him, more than the usual traumatic events did. Probably because his pig had died.

Steve ran and ran. After awhile, he grew tired, so he slowed to a stop. He looked around. He was in a jungle. He must've run north from the ravine. There were trees everywhere, of all sizes. A few cocoa beans were growing on the tree closest to him. He could hear a river somewhere ahead of him.

Steve caught his breath, then sensed something. Something's presence. He slowly turned around, and what he saw, was definitely not good.

A Creeper.

It was staring at him. Not moving towards him, just staring. It was a normal Creeper, not a Mojang one, but it just stood there.

Steve tried not to make any sudden movements. He started to slowly back away, but when he did, the Creeper came towards him.

And this time it did not stop. It kept walking towards Steve, and he backed up. He ran into a tree behind him. He had nowhere to go.

He was trapped.

The Creeper came slowly forward. When it was a few blocks away from Steve, it started hissing. Its body started getting bigger and flashing white.

Just before it was about to explode, something tackled it. Steve saw a flash of black and green as the Creeper and the unknown creature rolled around together in the grass.

The black creature got on top of the Creeper, and Steve got a good look at it.

It was a Spider.

The Spider bit the Creeper's neck, and it died. The Spider seemed to collect itself, then it crawled over to Steve. It looked at him.

The Spider seemed familiar. He didn't know what it was, or why it had saved him. But it did.

Then Steve realized where he had seen this Spider. It was the one from down in the ravine! This was the leader, the first one Steve had seen.

But, Steve saw Beta stab this Spider. He saw it with his own two eyes. But, here it was, looking up at him as if Steve were his owner.

"Uh...hey little buddy," Steve said awkwardly. "Thanks for um...saving me..."

The Spider made a friendly hiss. It came over to Steve and looked at him closer. That was when Steve noticed a wound in the Spider's side. It was just below the neck. It must've been where Beta had stabbed him.

"Well thanks for saving me, but I gotta get going," Steve said, pulling out his map of Sector 36. The jungle on this map was very small, and all the way to the north, so it must continue onto Sector 29. Steve looked at the sun, which was rising now, and started walking north through the jungle.

After jumping over a tree whose leaves were on ground level, he noticed the Spider following him. He didn't know why this Spider liked him. Monsters are supposed to be hostile! Of course, Spiders are friendly during the day, but they don't usually follow people around.

"Hey, I appreciate the rescue, but I really can't handle another pet right now," Steve said. "I...I just lost my other one, and it's really hard to deal with."

The Spider didn't seem to care. He kept following Steve, happy as could be.

Steve continued walking, the Spider trailing behind, when he realized how hungry he was. He hadn't eaten since before he had fallen into the ravine. He ate some bread and potatoes. He still had plenty from the village.

The pair were walking for about an hour when Steve heard a noise. A noise he had only heard once before, but that he knew was a bad sign.

It sounded like an Enderman teleporting, but much louder.

Steve froze. The Spider did too, understanding that something was wrong.

Steve looked around warily. He didn't see anything on the ground level. Then he slowly looked up.

On top of a very tall tree, was a Nether portal. Only, the inside wasn't purple. It was blue.

Steve waited cautiously. By now the Spider next to him had seen the portal. It looked at it almost angrily.

A figure exited the portal high above him. Ironically, it was a Spider. Except it had an iron helmet with the word Mojang on it, (who knows how they got that on there) and its eyes were a different shade of red than usual.

The Spider looked around. Steve didn't move, hoping the Spider wouldn't see him.

Unfortunately, the Mojang Spider looked right at him. At the same time, more Spiders with iron helmets exited the portal. They all stared at Steve.

Steve took this as his cue. He ran for his life, jumping over logs and leaves, scaring ocelots away and knocking down cocoa beans. He heard the Spiders chasing him.

He was still running north, he knew that. While he ran, he thought, Why have I been seeing so many Spiders lately? They're really getting on my nerves.

Steve found the river he had heard, and swam across the ten blocks of water. He hoped that Spiders couldn't swim. Unfortunately, when he got to the other side, the other Spiders were swimming across too.

One Spider with an iron helmet shot string at a tree branch above Steve. It then jumped, still connected to the string.

It swung, as if it were on a vine, at Steve. When it got close enough, Steve pulled out his iron sword and hit the Spider's head. The iron helmet came flying off, landing near the water's edge. The Spider was flung into the water.

Steve kept running. When he got to the top of a hill, he saw a building ahead of him. Well, not exactly a building. It was made of mossy cobblestone.

A jungle temple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I know my chapters usually end with more of a cliffhanger, but I've been busy. I kinda rushed this chapter, so sorry if it's bad. At least I actually updated though. I'll probably get in one or two more chapters in the next two weeks. Anyway, thanks for reading, and make sure you check out my other book, "A Porkchops Story"!

Also remember to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist

Update 1/2/16: The book has been finished. Keep reading!