Chapter 38

Steve swam back onto the stone ledge, glaring at Todd.

"Why did you do that?" Jay asked angrily. "You almost killed him!"

Todd was still laughing. "I thought it'd be funny," he answered. "And it was."

"No it wasn't!" Jay exclaimed. Jessie barked.

"Okay, okay," Todd said. "I'll go back up to Creektown now. It was nice meeting you guys." He left.

"I swear, that guy..." Jay muttered.

"I know..." Steve said, finally getting his hearts restored by eating some bread.

"Well, nine diamonds should be enough," Jay stated, stretching his arms above his head. "Let's head back."

"Agreed," Steve said, exhausted.

"Come, dogs," Jay called as he started back the way they came. Sadie and Jessie followed him, with Steve bringing up the rear.

When they finally got back to the large cavern, Jay stopped suddenly. Steve almost tripped on Sadie, who had stopped behind her master.

"What?" Steve asked, moving around the dogs and Jay. He saw what they were looking at.

On the side of the room with the empty space was a Nether portal.

But the inside wasn't purple.

I bet you can guess what color it was by now.

No one made a sound. Then, a Silverfish with a tiny gold helmet's head poked out of the blue swirling center of the portal. It looked around.

"Coast is clear," it said in a shaky voice. "Let's go, before Jean catches us!"

It hopped out of the portal. Another figure jumped out behind it.

"Why are we doing this, again?" the Cave Spider in the gold helmet asked in a sticky voice.

"Because, Jean won't let us attack Creektown, so we're gonna do it ourselves!" the Silverfish answered as Cave Spiders and Silverfish with iron helmets poured out of the portal.

When they were all in the cavern, the gold helmeted Cave Spider said, "She's gonna be real mad at us if they catch us."

"Not if we kill Steve," the Silverfish responded.

"I thought the spy was gonna do that?" asked the Cave Spider.

"I don't trust the spy," the Silverfish said. "Now come on, we'll do it ourselves."

"Hide!" Jay whisper-shouted.

Steve scrambled back into the corridor they had come from, destroying the torches so they were shrouded in darkness. He tried to process all the information.

The Silverfish and Cave Spider with the gold helmets must be Epsilon and Zeta, since those Greek letters came before Eta, who was the Witch. They were attacking the Resistance against Jean's rules, so it probably wouldn't be long before Mojang discovered them.

There was a spy somewhere in the Resistance. Someone who was supposed to try to kill Steve. He had a sneaking suspicion he knew who it was.

Todd.

There were at least twenty Silverfish and twenty Cave Spiders. Steve knew if they were caught, they would be dead.

"What should we do?" Jay mouthed silently.

Steve shrugged. "We can't let them attack Creektown," he mouthed back.

Jay started responding, when a bark resonated through the cavern.

It was Jessie, who had decided to bark at that moment.

All Silverfish and Cave Spider heads turned their way.

"Dang it, Jessie," Jay muttered.

"There they are!" shouted Epsilon the Silverfish.

"Get them!" yelled Zeta the Cave Spider.

Steve and Jay stood and stepped out of the corridor, weapons at the ready. Sadie and Jessie growled, fur bristling.

The Silverfish and Cave Spiders charged towards them.

They collided in battle.

Since they were just Silverfish and Cave Spiders, they weren't too hard to fight off since they could only attack close range. Even so, Steve made sure he avoided the poisonous Cave Spider bite.

Steve slashed with his sword; Jay with his axe. The dogs fought bravely.

Even so, Steve knew they were losing. They were slowly being pushed towards the pit of lava.

Jay took the first hit. A Silverfish had snuck under his defenses and hit him. But Jay only grimaced and beheaded the little creature.

Sadie took the next hit. Unfortunately, it was a bite from a Cave Spider. Poison works on dogs too. The dog cried out each time the poison hurt her.

Steve was hit by two Silverfish. Jessie was too. The Silverfish were faster than the Cave Spiders, so they landed more hits.

Steve saw Epsilon and Zeta sitting next to the portal. They weren't even helping in the fight. What good leaders.

The four were pushed back to the lava pit. Steve gritted his teeth, knowing this was the end. Sadie's poison had subsided, but if she were hit one more time she'd die.

They would go down, one by one. And Mojang would finally get their wish.

Steve would be dead.

Suddenly, a booming female voice called out.

"STOP! THIS IS AN UNAUTHORIZED ATTACK!"

The Silverfish and Cave Spiders stopped, confused. Everyone looked over to the voice.

It was Jean. Notch's successor.

"It was his idea!" Zeta blurted in his sticky voice.

"Oh come on, Jean!" Epsilon cried in his shaky voice. "We have him cornered!"

"I knew I shouldn't have trusted you two," Jean muttered. "I specifically told you not to attack Creektown."

"But everyone else got to attack them!" Epsilon whined.

"Notch said your units work better in caves," Jean replied.

"And here we are, in a cave!" Zeta said.

"Yes, but that is beside the point."

"How is that beside the point?!"

"This is an unauthorized attack."

"BUT HE'S CORNERED!"

"Yeah! Look!"

Jean finally looked over to Steve, Jay and the dogs. She saw the Silverfish and Cave Spiders cornering them.

They had no way out. It was either death by lava, or death by Mojang.

Steve sure as the Nether wouldn't be picking Mojang.

Jay was on his knees, feeding Sadie a piece of steak. She ate it hungrily. Steve saw her strength returning.

"See?!" Epsilon's shaky voice was heard.

"I do see," Jean replied. "Since you are so close to killing him, I will allow this one exception. You may finish him."

The Silverfish and Cave Spiders turned back to Steve, Jay, and the dogs.

"ATTACK!" yelled Epsilon and Zeta together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would you do if I just killed Steve right there?

Hopefully we won't find out.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist