Chapter 37

Eventually, they got all the prisoners to Creektown. Lourd had given them a choice: join the Resistance, or leave. Only one older man opted to leave. He had climbed up the mountain Creektown was on and disappeared from view.

They gave the new members some spare houses, but a lot of them had to share. Alex wanted to share with Steve, but Ruby wouldn't let her. Steve didn't know why.

Instead, Alex had ended up living in the spare house closest to Steve's.

It was the next morning. Lourd had told Steve that he could take a job one more day, but tomorrow they would attack the power plant in Sector 20.

Steve and Jay waited in line for the job dispenser. While they waited, Jay pointed out a few other people in the Resistance Steve hadn't noticed before.

There was Colin, the Minecraftian who loved sword fighting, but always insisted on using a stone sword. There was Godhand, the Minecraftian who used potions as his weapons. No one knew how he got the name Godhand, and he never told people. Then there was Caroline, the timid girl Villager who was the same age as Steve but hated fighting.

Finally, it was their turn in line. Steve went first, and the paper that came out was "Diamond Duty".

"What's Diamond Duty?" Steve asked Jay.

"You have to mine for diamonds," Jay replied. He typed in his ID and got his job. "Nice, I got Diamond Duty too!"

"Cool," Steve said.

"Well, let's go!"

They went to the armory to get enchanted iron pickaxes and some iron armor. Steve still had the iron sword from the Nether, and Jay had his iron axe.

Jay decided to being along his dogs, Sadie and Jessie. Sadie, the purple collared one, was really lazy and liked to follow Jay around. Jessie, the pink collared one, loved to play and was always jumping.

They were almost at the mine entrance when Alex stopped them.

"Hey guys! Can I come?" she asked.

"Uh..."Jay thought for a moment. He was about to respond when another voice called out.

"Hey Alex! Let the boys have their guy time. Wanna come help me clean?" It was Ruby.

"Oh...sure!" she called out. The two girls left.

"Well that was interesting," Jay stated. "C'mon, we have some diamonds to find."

They walked down the same staircase they had used to get to the Nether portal, but this time they took a left at the bottom instead.

They walked for awhile until they found an already explored cavern. It was huge, with a large lava pit on one side and lots of empty space on the other. There were at least a dozen exits from the cavern, and torches, furnaces, chests, and crafting tables everywhere.

"Let's go this way," Jay said, leading Steve and the dogs into a dark exit no one had explored yet.

They walked through the mine, finding only iron and coal and redstone. They found gold on a few occasions, and Jay made sure he collected that.

After awhile they came to another not as large cavern with lava and water pouring into each other, creating obsidian.

Jay placed a torch. "Man, we're never gonna find diamonds," he said, exasperated. They had been down in the mine for at least an hour.

"Actually, there's some over there," said an unfamiliar voice.

Steve and Jay both whirled around to the voice. There was a boy, maybe fourteen years old, standing in a dark corner, wearing all black. He looked slightly familiar.

"Who the Nether are you?" Jay asked.

"I'm Todd," the boy said. (That's me :D) "I was one of the prisoners at Jeb's place."

"And how long have you been down here?" Steve asked. This kid was creepy.

"I got here the same time you did," Todd responded.

"So you've been following us?!" Jay asked incredulously.

"Yes," Todd replied simply.

"Why?!" Jay yelled.

"I don't know, I had nothing better to do," Todd answered. "Do you want the diamonds or not?"

"What diamonds?" Steve and Jay asked together.

"Over there," Todd stepped out of the shadows to point. He was a Minecraftian boy with dark eyes. Steve couldn't see his hair because it was covered by the hood of his black hoodie. Everything he wore was black. It was kinda suspicious.

"I don't see any diamonds," Jay said, peering in the direction Todd was pointing. "Sit, dogs!" Both dogs sat.

"They're behind the lava fall. Come over here and you'll see them," Todd said.

Steve and Jay stepped in Todd's direction, but made sure they didn't get too close to the weird kid. Now they could see the diamonds. There were at least five. The only problem was, they were on a wall with lava next to it.

"How are we supposed to get that?" Steve asked.

"I don't know, but you wanted diamonds," Todd replied, shrugging.

"You can get them," Jay said, pushing Steve forward.

Steve scowled at him and jumped into the water below. He swam to where the water met the lava, then placed some cobblestone in the lava. He stepped on it.

He continued doing this, placing cobble in the lava, until he reached the wall with the diamonds. Steve looked back at Jay and Todd. Jay was watching Steve nervously while Todd played with something in his hand.

Steve mined the five diamonds visible and then found four more behind them. He mined those too and began slowly crossing the cobble bridge he had made.

When he was on the first cobble he had placed, next to the water, he felt something hit him in the chestplate, knocking him backward.

Right into the lava.

The pain was like nothing Steve had ever felt before. It was even worse than the poison from the Cave Spider in the ravine so long ago.

He was on fire.

In the back of his mind, Steve heard someone yell "DUDE WHAT THE NETHER?" But Steve couldn't concentrate on who it was. He couldn't concentrate on anything.

Steve somehow managed to climb back onto the cobble, still on fire. He crawled to the water and lay in it. The fire went out.

Steve had one heart left, but the water felt absolutely refreshing. He looked up to see what the commotion was about.

Jay had his iron axe pointed at Todd. Sadie and Jessie growled at the kid from where they sat. Todd had his hands up. In one of those hands was a bow.

Todd had shot him into the lava.

And he was laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my character. He's so suspicious.

Thanks for reading, and remember to follow, vote, and comment!

~Radishologist

Update 7/28/15: Character entries are closed. I am not taking any more characters in this book.