Chapter 10

Steve got up excitedly at the sight of the four diamonds in a two by two square. Hopefully there were more behind them. He smiled to himself as he imagined the things he could do with eight diamonds.

He walked over to the diamonds and searched his inventory. He then realized something was wrong.

His iron pickaxe was missing.

How could I be so stupid?! Steve thought as he remembered the Spider knocking the pickaxe out of his hands. You can't mine diamonds with a stone or wooden pickaxe, he thought. And I don't have any iron left!

Steve didn't know what to do. If he left these diamonds, he might never find his way back to them. Luckily, he had coal, and was able to make some torches. He decided to make a trail leading to the diamonds while he searched for iron.

He walked back up the stairs he had run down while fleeing the Spiders, placing torches as he went. He saw some coal, which he ignored, and redstone, which he couldn't mine because he had no iron. He didn't see any iron.

He walked down a narrow corridor with wooden support structures, still placing torches. Something caught his eye between the wooden structures. Iron.

Yes! Steve thought. He could see two iron ore facing him, and he mined them with the stone pickaxe that he still had. Sadly, there was nothing behind the two iron, and two was not enough to make a pickaxe. So, he continued on, making the torch trail.

He walked down the hallway and turned a corner. He jumped. There were spider webs everywhere, and he could make out some sort of block in the midst of the webs. He also heard hissing noises.

Not the Spiders, Steve thought. He decided to find another way around, when something leaped at him from inside the spider webs. He pointed his sword in front of him, and the monster landed on it. He realized it was a Spider. But not just any Spider. A Cave Spider.

The Cave Spider that attacked him writhed around on the floor, then died. Steve looked more closely through the webs, and saw what he suspected. A spawner. (Note: A spawner is a block that spawns a certain type of monster continuously. However, if torches are placed on top of the spawner, it can no longer spawn the monsters.)

Steve decided to stop this spawner from spawning more Cave Spiders, in case they troubled him later. He started breaking webs with his iron sword he had found from the village. When he had almost destroyed all the webs, another Cave Spider spawned, and attacked him. This time, he couldn't block fast enough, and the Cave Spider bit him.

He felt a pain he had never known before. It bit him in the arm, and he dropped his sword in the pain. He felt poison running up his veins, and his hearts were dropping quickly. The Cave Spider jumped at him again, but Steve stumbled backwards, and the Cave Spider ran into the wall.

Steve crawled backwards, and placed cobblestone so the Cave Spider couldn't get to him. The poison was still running up his veins, and he didn't know what to do. He ate a piece of bread, but it did nothing to stop the excruciating pain.

He collapsed on the floor, and felt like he was going to black out. He closed his eyes.

Then, after a few seconds, the pain stopped. He had half of a heart left. But, he no longer felt any poison. It had disapperared, just like that. He ate some food, and felt his health regenerating.

Steve got up and retrieved his iron sword from the webs. He broke the cobble and killed the Cave Spider, then finished destroying the webs. Then he placed torches on the spawner, and continued walking down the now unblocked hallway. He felt his health completely full again. He continued on triumphantly.

After turning down who knows how many corridors, he finally found more iron. There were eight, so he now had ten in all. He found them in a small cave with dirt on the floor and a three block long, one block tall hole at the bottom of the far wall. He finally decided to follow his trail back when he heard something strange.

Voices.

Or rather, one voice. It was thin and raspy, and coming from the hole in the wall. It wasn't large enough for Steve to fit through, so he laid down next to it and tried peering into the hole.

There seemed to be a small room below the cave that Steve was in now. It was dimly lit by one torch, so Steve couldn't see anything but stone. But now that he was close enough, he could hear.

"--located the intruder yet?" the raspy voice said. There were a series of clanking and clattering noises, then the same voice spoke again.

"Ah, destroyed his house, yes?" said the voice. "Good, good, but WHERE IS THE INTRUDER?" it shouted. More clattering. The clattering sounded familiar to Steve, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was.

The voice spoke again. "Well go find him! He can't be that hard to find, now can he? We have the greatest technology in the world!"

More clanking and clattering. Then the voice spoke again. "And what is that? A diary? Surely it can't be the intruder's." A pause. "Some Villager's? Why is it necessary to bring this to me?"

There were more clattering noises, and Steve realized the noises came from Skeletons. They seemed to be communicating with the voice.

"Ah, you found it on a ledge in this very ravine?" the voice said. "And you believe the intruder brought it here? Yes, yes, I guess that could be true. Well if he did bring it here, then he could still be in this mine somewhere. GO FIND HIM!"

Two figures came into Steve's view in the room. He jerked back a bit, then realized they were facing away from him, but they came from underneath the cave he was in. The two figures were, in fact, Skeletons, with iron helmets and the word Mojang painted on them. They made clattering noises as they walked out of view, presumably towards the exit. They must be going to get this intruder the voice spoke of. Steve was getting the sneaking suspicion that the intruder was himself. After all, he did lose the diary.

Then a similar figure came into view, coming from the same spot the two Skeletons came from. It was another Skeleton, but it had a gold helmet. Steve could see the word Mojang painted in red on it. It was facing the exit that Steve couldn't see. It was holding Eddie's diary! Steve had to get it back. But then the voice spoke once more, and surprisingly it came from the Skeleton with the gold helmet.

"Go bring me Steve."

Steve let out an involuntary gasp and the Skeleton turned.

It stared at Steve with its menacing red eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a surprise, I got one more chapter in before we left for vacation. Anyway, sorry for leaving you with a cliff hanger, but I will continue this after spring break.

Thanks for reading, and make sure you vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist

Update 7/28/15: Spring break ended a long time ago. I wrote more after it.