Chapter 31

"That's kinda what we've been doing, Steve," Manga laughed. "I knew his amnesia was bad, but not this bad," he whispered loudly to Lourd.

Steve ignored the guy. "So what are we going to do about them attacking this place?" he asked.

"Well, our technicians have been able to hack into the security cameras of some floors of Mojang HQ. We'll know if they're going to attack," Lourd replied.

"I'm the tech leader," Manga said. "Just thought you should know what I do here," he added.

"And when they do attack?" Steve asked.

"Then we fight back," Lourd answered. "But I have a plan to stop them from attacking us in the first place."

"What is it?" Ruby asked curiously.

"Well, they need electricity to control their monsters. But if the power goes out--" Lourd started.

"Then we can attack them without the monsters interfering!" Ruby finished.

"Exactly," Lourd said. "In a few days, we will attack the power plant in Sector 20."

"Awesome," Steve said.

"You are dismissed now," Lourd said.

Steve and Ruby left the Town Hall. Outside, the sun was just starting to set. Goley was carrying the girl he had been playing with, who was now asleep, to a house.

"That little girl's name is Emily, by the way," Ruby said to Steve. "Her parents joined because we recruited them. Emily's too young to know what's going on."

Over by the armory, Tommy the archer and Kirai were suiting up for the Zombie shift. Kirai waved at Steve, who waved back. Ruby looked at him, then said, "Follow me. I want to show you something."

"Okay." Steve followed her.

She led him into her house. It seemed nice and tidy. Then she pressed a button that was practically hidden on the wall. A tile of the roof opened up, and a ladder was revealed.

"C'mon!" Ruby said and started climbing up the ladder.

Steve shrugged and followed her. The ladder led out onto the roof. The roof was made of wooden stairs. That may sound weird, but it looks great as a decoration.

Ruby sat down on the edge of the roof. It was on the other side of the village, so it overlooked the mountain.

Steve sat down next to her. The view was beautiful, the sun setting, animals grazing on the grass. It really was amazing.

"Like it?" Ruby asked. Steve nodded. "We used to go out here all the time forgetting our responsibilities, being alone."

"So...you never got to answer my question yesterday," Steve started nervously. Ruby tilted her head questioningly.

"What um...were you to me?" Steve asked.

Ruby smiled. "I was your girlfriend."

Steve grinned inwardly. He knew it. On the outside he kept his cool.

"Cool," Steve said awkwardly.

"But of course, since your memories were erased, it's kinda like we don't know each other," Ruby said. "Well, you don't know me."

"So... What do I do then?" Steve asked.

"I don't know, ask me out again if you're ready," Ruby smirked.

"But...i don't know if I'm ready..." Steve said. "I mean, I've only been awake for like a week. I don't remember how we were."

(If this was a musical Ruby would probably start singing right now. Too bad it's not.)

"Well...we can start fresh. And once we get your memories back, it'll be like normal again," Ruby said.

"I don't know Ruby," Steve replied. "I--"

"Let's not think about it right now," Ruby cut in. "Let's just enjoy this beautiful sunset. Together."

"Okay."

They sat in silence for awhile, enjoying the view. It was really beautiful.

Steve didn't know why he did it, but he reached out and took hold of Ruby's hand without looking at her. He could feel her smiling at him, but he pretended not to see.

"Why did you join the Resistance, Ruby?" Steve asked suddenly. He hadn't planned on asking that.

"No...serious reason like most people," she responded. "See, when you and Lourd made the Resistance, you advertised it wherever you thought it was safe. I learned about it in my home city, Sector 18. I still have a family there, but I joined the Mojang Resistance Movement."

Steve took this all in. "But...there must be some reason why you joined?"

"I... When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a hero. I thought it would make everyone think better of me. Then, I learned about this place, and I saw my chance. So...I took it," Ruby explained.

"Oh...okay," Steve said awkwardly. "What about Jay? Why'd he join?"

"Um...when he was a kid, he watched his parents get beheaded by Mojang. They used a diamond sword. He learned to survive on his own, until he found out about this place. He gladly joined us."

That would explain why Jay used axes instead of swords. He watched his parents gets beheaded by a sword, so he must've vowed never to use one again. "Oh," Steve said. He didn't know what he should say.

"Yeah, none of us are really fond of our pasts, but we're all glad we're here," Ruby said.

"I'm glad you guys are here too," Steve said. They were still holding hands, and Ruby looked into Steve's eyes. Steve stared back.

They started inching closer on the roof. When they were a hair's breadth apart, Ruby tilted her head one way, so Steve tilted his the other. They leaned in.

And they kissed.

Steve felt fireworks exploding inside as he pressed his lips to hers. He felt like nothing could go wrong, as long as he had Ruby by his side.

Together, they could accomplish anything. They could avenge anyone.

They could avenge those innocent Villagers from Harville.

They could avenge Good Spider and Porkchops.

They could avenge Kirai's, Jay's, and Steve's families.

And they could avenge anyone else that Mojang had made the lives miserable of.

As long as they were together.

Steve and Ruby continued kissing as the sun went down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was my first attempt at a love scene. Man, I hate those. There will probably only be a few more in this book. That's why this chapter was so short, by the way, because I'm terrible at writing love scenes.

Anyway, my family just got a nine week old puppy, so I may not be updating as much while I take care of her. Sorry.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist

Update 7/28/15: I still finished the book with the puppy. I win.