Chapter 29

Steve froze. He didn't know whether to just swing at Beta or run. Either way, he'd probably die.

He lowered his sword to his side. "Beta," Steve said.

"Were you going to kill me?" Beta asked, feigning innocence.

"As a matter of fact, yes," Steve replied.

Beta's eyes narrowed. "How rude," he said as he pressed a button on something in his pocket.

An alarm blared. How had they had time to set up an alarm? Steve thought pointlessly.

He drank an invisibility potion and ran. There was no use in trying to kill Beta. Steve would probably lose anyway.

He ran straight to the building with the stairs. Hopefully Jay was there somewhere, waiting for him. Steve heard Beta yelling after him.

Mojang monsters ran around frantically, trying to find the invisible intruder. But Steve evaded all of them.

He reached the building with the stairs, which was empty of monsters at the moment. He looked around and saw Jay hiding in a corner.

"Jay!" Steve yelled quietly. "Drink a potion!"

"Steve?" Jay asked. "What's going on?" He drank a potion of invisibility just as two Skeletons in iron helmets barrelled in, looking for the intruders. But they were invisible.

The Skeletons ran up the stairs. "Follow them," Steve whispered. He hoped Jay heard, cause Steve ran up the stairs.

Up the stairs was a whole different world. They couldn't see from below, but up there there were prisoners everywhere. It was another nether brick bridge, but this time there were large cells on the sides of the bridge.

In the one closest to them, to the left of the bridge, about 50 Blazes sat dejectedly in the corner, not blazing with angry fire like usual. Across from the Blazes were 50 Wither Skeletons, who held their stone swords sadly at their sides. Next to the Blazes were 50 Zombie Pigmen, crowded in a corner, but not speaking. Across from the Zombie Pigs were 50 Magma Cubes, unmoving. And at the end of the bridge, on the other side of a four way intersection, the 50 Ghasts lay on the ground behind their cage. A few of them moaned sadly.

All five groups were behind nether brick bars, and they were all too depressed to escape, despite being capable of doing just that.

The alarm was still blaring, but no one suspected that Steve and Jay would be in the prisoner area. They thought that the two rebels thought Nether monsters were too dangerous.

And they were. Steve had one small hope that his plan would work.

He heard Jay standing next to him, taking it all in. The Skeletons that had come up here left the prisoner area via the intersection.

Steve and Jay were alone with the prisoners.

"Ready?" Steve whispered. "You know what to do."

Jay was silent, but Steve assumed he nodded. It was time for the plan.

And they had to act fast, or their invisibility potions would run out.

Steve ran over to the Blaze cage, and he heard Jay run to the Wither Skeletons. Steve broke the door with his iron pickaxe.

The Blazes looked up, noticing the absence of the door. But none of them moved.

Steve stared at them helplessly, unable to do anything invisible. The Blazes were too beaten up to want to escape. They had lost their will to live.

Suddenly, four Spiders in iron helmets ran up the stairs. They saw the Blaze and Wither Skeleton cages broken open.

Two went to investigate each cage. Steve backed away, and he hoped Jay did too. When the Spiders got to the Blaze door, the Blazes jumped into action. They shot fireballs at the unsuspecting Spiders, killing them. Then the Blazes rushed out of the cage and down the stairs. Steve heard screams. He smiled.