Chapter 9

Steve's Point of View

After running a safe distance away, Steve sat down with his back against an acacia tree. He was exhausted, and although it was still night and monsters could be lurking around every corner, he closed his eyes.

He woke a few hours later. It was still night time. He heard a few distant monsters, but none were close enough to sense him. He searched his inventory and found what he was looking for—the diary. He decided to read a few pages of it. He opened it to the first entry and read:

**********************************
Dear Diary,

I have decided to start writing a diary! So, here is all about me!

-I am 24 years old!

-I love cake!

-I am not married, but I have a crush on this girl named Sarah!

**********************************

Ugh, Steve thought. This guy was a complete weirdo. He was not gonna read through this entire thing if it was just useless information.

He got up and looked around. He figured going forward, on the other side of the acacia tree, would lead him to his house. He started walking that way even though it was still dark. He ate a piece of bread as he went.

He decided to skim Eddie's diary while he walked, looking for any useful information. After about ten minutes of walking while reading, he finally found something interesting:

********************************

Dear Diary,

So my daddy was telling me he heard that Notch has been using de-aging potions. I don't know why he would do that. He fought his battle in the Great War and made the government. He should be about 70 right now, since the war was 50 years ago. But, according to my daddy, he has a special Witch make him de-aging potions so he can stay young. He is "30" years old now. I don't know how my daddy learned all this, but he said Notch has to take these potions every night! That must be hard to remember! That's all for today!

Love, Eddie

******************************

Notch is sick, Steve thought. He uses de-aging potions? Now he could never die! This is another reason for Steve to shut down Mojang.

Steve walked for another ten minutes, skimming through diary entries. Most of them were about his crush on Sarah or how his day went or what he overheard the neighbors saying. Steve was disgusted by this guy.

Then Steve found another interesting entry. He started reading it.

******************************

Dear Diary,

My daddy was talking to me again today about Mojang. So apparently, Notch has a successor named Jean. She is his right-hand woman. But some people say she is jealous of him. They say she wants to take over Mojang when Notch dies, but because of his de-aging potions, Notch will never die! Tough luck for Jean, am I right? Oh, I also heard from the neighbors that Mojang is using new technology to control—

******************************

That was all Steve got to read, because he then felt something change. He looked up from the book, when he realized the ground beneath his feet had disappeared! Or, he walked straight into a ravine while reading the diary.

Steve didn't even get to scream as he fell hundreds of feet down the crack in the earth. Again.

On the way down, he bumped into a ledge, but he couldn't manuever himself to land on it. Instead, he hit it, losing two hearts, and dropped the diary, which of course landed on the ledge as Steve continued to fall down the ravine.

Whatever, Steve thought. I'm dead anyway. His life flashed before his eyes. It was't much, considering he could only remember everything after a couple days ago. But it didn't matter to him. Steve prepared for the impact that would take his life.

But it didn't come. Instead, he landed in something cold, wet, and liquid. Water.

The water pushed Steve over to the wall. But he didn't get up. He couldn't get up. The last few seconds of his life were terrifying. He would've died if it weren't for the water flowing from a hole in the wall a couple blocks up.

Then Steve realized something. He had been through far scarier things than that since he woke up a few days ago. The Skeleton shooting him into a lava-filled ravine, the Enderman almost killing him, the horrific Mojang-controlled Zombie attack on Harville, and the Zombie Villager apocalypse. And now this. Steve decided he would live.

He got up and looked around. He estimated he had fallen about one hundred blocks, and the area he was in was about fifteen blocks wide and maybe hundreds of blocks long. There was a lava source about twenty blocks away giving him light, and a cave entrance on the opposite wall from Steve. He decided that since he was there, he might as well start mining.

Then he remembered something. The diary! It had fallen onto a ledge maybe seventy five blocks up, or twenty five blocks down from the world above. How was Steve supposed to get to that? He was just about to learn something really important about Mojang, and now he lost the diary!

He decided he would mine enough cobblestone to pillar up to the ledge. He went inside the cave entrance he saw, only to realize it was an abandoned mine, not a cave. There were a few railroad tracks on the ground, and wooden support structures every ten blocks or so. Steve placed his last remaining torch he had picked up from Harville and went back out into the open ravine to get some coal he had seen for more torches.

While mining the coal, Steve heard a hiss. Not a Creeper's hiss. More like the hiss of a Spider.

Steve whipped around. Staring at him with its eight beady eyes was, in fact, a Spider. It stared at him, and Steve stared back, not making any sudden movements. He could tell it wasn't controlled by Mojang, because it acted like a normal Spider.

The Spider lunged. He instinctively brought his pickaxe up, and the Spider hit it, knocking it out of Steve's hands. At the same time, Steve rolled to the left side as the Spider and pickaxe fell to the right.

Steve jumped up, and the Spider did too. Steve got his iron sword out. The Spider looked at it warily, then made a loud hissing noise.

Six more Spiders dropped from above. Steve didn't know where they came from or how they heard the Spider, but he didn't care. He knew he couldn't fight seven of them at once. Instead, he bolted to the left, down the abandoned mine.

He heard the Spiders in pursuit behind him. Steve ran, turning corners at random and fleeing down endless hallways. He couldn't keep track of where he was going, and eventually he became lost. After running down some steps, he realized he couldn't hear the Spiders anymore. He didn't know where they went, but he lost them.

He came to a stop to catch his breath. He was afraid the Spiders would creep up on him silently, but he was too tired to keep moving. He was starving. He ate some bread and carrots until he was full, then sat down. He was about to close his eyes when something on the opposite wall made him bolt upright again.

Across from him were diamonds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won't be able to write more over spring break, but I'm out of ideas anyway. I'll think of more stuff to happen and come back with more ideas.

Thanks for reading, and remember to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist

Update 7/28/15: I obviously wrote more already. Keep reading!