Chapter 11

Steve didn't have time to ponder all the questions running through his head; he was too busy running for his life.

Arrows whizzed past him as he ran, following his torch trail. An alarm started blaring through hidden speakers. Of course Mojang had speakers in here. The entire mine probably had secret security cameras. He heard the Skeleton with the gold helmet yelling. The questions still whirled around in his brain.

How can the Skeleton with the gold helmet talk, but the others can't?

How did they get Eddie's diary?

Why are they after me?

It was all too much to process. Steve decided he would wonder these things later. Now, he concentrated on running.

He passed the Cave Spider spawner. As he was about to round the corner, he felt an arrow pierce his lower back. He cried out in pain, but kept running.

Just as he was about to run down the stairs to where the diamonds were, four Skeletons came up those stairs. They shot at him, and Steve deflected some arrows with his sword. He knew he wouldn't be able to get to the diamonds. Regretfully, he turned and ran down an unexplored hallway.

More arrows whizzed by, and the alarm hurt his ears. But, he kept going. Steve turned another corner, and in front of him was a pit of lava. It was about four blocks wide, and there were no ways to go around it. So, without stopping to think about it, he jumped.

As he flew through the air, the world seemed to go in slow motion. An arrow flew right by his head. He didn't think he was going to make it. Here the legend of Steve would end.

Then he felt his feet touch the ground. He made it! The alarm stopped suddenly, giving his ears relief. Steve didn't look back as he turned the corner and ran down a one block wide corridor.

Still in the one block hallway, he trippped over something and into a small room. The something climbed on top of him. Now this really is the end, Steve thought. The creature prepared for the kill by...

Licking his face. Steve opened his eyes. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"Porkchops!" Steve exclaimed. The pig snorted happily and clambered off of him. It stared at Steve with its suprisingly adorable crossed eyes. Again.

"How did you get down here?" Steve asked. Porkchops squealed and pointed with his head to the opposite side of the room, where there was another one block wide hallway.       

"Oh jeez, you came all this way to find me?" Steve asked. The pig snorted in reply.

Then an arrow sailed past his head, and Steve snapped back to reality. The Skeletons somehow found a way over the lava!

"Get back, Porkchops!" Steve commanded, and the pig obliged. Steve placed two blocks of cobblestone in front of him, blocking the Skeletons from view. Then he knelt down in front of Porkchops.

"Listen buddy, things are gonna be a little scary from here on out, okay? Just stay close to me, and you'll be safe. I'll protect you." The pig squealed.

"Here, take this," Steve said, taking the iron hemlet with the word "Mojang" on it from the village off. He placed it on Porkchops' head. "I'll keep you safe." The pig stared into his eyes.

Steve patted Porkchops' iron helmet, then stood up and looked around. He wasn't really sure what to do, but he heard banging noises on the other side of the cobble. They didn't have much time.

"Lead the way out of here, Porkchops!" Steve said, and the pig ran down the hallway. Steve followed him.

They ran, and Steve heard an explosion back in the room. It was either TNT or Creepers, and he hoped it wasn't the latter.

They twisted down several hallways, and Steve prayed that Porkchops knew where he was going. He heard more shouting, and arrows flying once again.

They came to an intersection, with both routes leading into the open ravine. The one on the left went upwards, and the one on the right stayed on ground level. Porkchops started climbing the one that led up, and Steve was about to follow when something outside the other exit caught his eye.

His iron pickaxe. It was lying by a few pieces of coal.

"Keep going Porkchops!" Steve yelled. "I'll be right there!" The pig snorted without looking back.

Steve ran out into the ravine, his eyes on his pickaxe. He couldn't believe he had dropped it right before he had found diamonds, But it didn't matter now. Maybe later, he could come back and mine those diamonds, assuming the Mojang-controlled monsters had left.

Steve reached his pickaxe and picked it up, looking at it. It seemed just the way he left it. Nothing had tampered with it.

Then some movement caught his eye. He looked up. There were Skeletons with iron Mojang helmets staring at him, bows poised. Steve looked around.

He was surrounded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist