Chapter 48

Jean's Point of View

Jean couldn't believe it.

They had successfully destroyed Creektown.

The Resistance was in hiding, seperated from nine of their best members.

Could the day get any better?

Jean was on her way down to floor 6, Madge's lab. Madge was the Witch that brewed up Notch's de-aging potions.

Notch had asked Jean to go check on Madge. Apparently, she was late with his de-aging potion.

When the elevator finally opened at floor 6, Jean strode down the hallway and knocked on Madge's door.

"Madge? Notch wants his de-aging potion," Jean called.

She heard a lot of fumbling around inside, glass bottles clattering, and hurried footsteps. After about thirty seconds, Madge opened the door, holding a potion and looking slightly ruffled.

"Oh no, I am so sorry," Madge said. "I had just had a breakthrough with one of my other potions, and I lost track of time!"

"What breakthrough?" Jean asked.

Madge paused for a second. Then she said, "I really do think I need to give this to Notch."

"What breakthrough?" Jean asked again.

"Just...a way to make invisibility potions last longer," Madge replied nervously.

Jean could tell she was lying. But she didn't show it.

"Alright. Go bring that to Notch," Jean ordered.

Madge hurried past her, mumbling an apology. She entered the elevator and pressed the button for the hundredth floor. The elevator doors closed.

Jean walked inside Madge's lab.

The place was a mess. Potion ingredients littered the room, glass bottles were strewn about randomly. There were chests to one side and brewing stands to another, and on the far wall was a large table with papers all over it. Jean walked over to the table.

The papers seemed to be about potion related stuff. Which made sense, since she was a Witch.

Jean picked up the papers one by one, examining each of them for anything out of the ordinary. Everything seemed to be alright.

About ten minutes later, Jean found a very interesting piece of paper. She picked it up. On it was a recipe for a potion. But at the top of the paper were the words, "Notch's Destruction".

Jean gasped. Madge was a traitor!

Then Jean felt something made of glass crash and break against her head. She felt a liquid spread across her body.

Jean blacked out.

* * *

Jean's vision slowly came back to her. She was in her office, sitting at her desk.

How had she gotten there?

She remembered going down to get Madge for Notch's de-aging potion. Then Jean had...

Returned to her office. Yes, that was it. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Jean checked her Minetablet. There was a message from Notch. It said, "Meet me in my office, please. :)"

It was night time. Jean wondered why Notch needed her now.

She took the elevator up and knocked on his door.

"Come in!" called his bright, cheery voice.

Talk about bipolar, Jean thought.

She walked inside. Notch was sitting at his desk. Jean sat across from him.

"Yes, sir?" Jean asked.

"How did the attack go?" Notch asked.

"Very well, sir. The Resistance was driven out of Creektown. They are now hiding in their bunker somewhere inside of Notch Mountain," Jean replied.

"Good, good," Notch said. "And how did the Creepers do?"

Jean hesitated. "Not very well, sir. The strike team still destroyed the power plant. Of course, we can use our emergency generators until we can use the electricity of the power plant in Sector 16."

"And where is the strike team now?" Notch asked.

"They are crossing the Notch desert. They seem to have picked up a new member," Jean replied.

"Ah, yes. What shall we do about that?" Notch asked, more to himself than to Jean.

"We could send in one of the monster units," Jean suggested.

"No, no, they need time to rest," Notch said. "The Endermen are not ready yet, and neither is the End portal I am creating on the roof..." He trailed off, thinking hard.

"Could we send the bounty hunters?" Jean asked.

"Well, Jeb isn't very happy with me," Notch answered. "But we could ask for them one more time."

"Shall I message Jeb?" Jean asked.

Notch thought for a moment. "Yes. Tell him we will triple our last cost if he catches them. Then tell him to send ten of his best bounty hunters. This time, the Resistance will not be able to save them."

Jean did as she was told. Jeb didn't answer right away.

"You are dismissed now," Notch said. Jean nodded and left.

When she returned to her office, Jeb answered her message. It said, "Fine. But we better get the emeralds this time."

Jean smiled to herself. Steve and the strike team were as good as dead.

Of course, she had said that last time. Then the Resistance had saved Steve. But this time, the Resistance was in no shape to go on any rescue missions.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. Who could it be at this hour? Jean thought.

She opened the door. There stood a Zombie with a gold helmet.

Alpha walked inside without asking. What is with monsters and doing that? Jean thought.

"What do you want?" Jean asked.

"Why do you do this?" Alpha asked in a gravelly voice.

"Do what?" Jean asked, sitting down.

"Control monsters. We don't want that," Alpha replied.

Jean was shocked. Their first monster commander was going soft?

"We are doing it to make the world safer," Jean replied.

"By destroying entire villages? Sure, monsters attack people, but they don't annihilate an entire town," Alpha said.

"What is wrong with you?" Jean asked. "A few hours ago, you were eager to destroy that village."

"Yes, but I...realized that what we do is wrong. Can we stop?" Alpha asked.

"Most certainly not," Jean replied sharply. "We won't stop until we control the entire world!"

"You kinda already do," Alpha said. "Think about that."

He left the room like nothing had happened.

That was weird. Something must be malfunctioning with the gold helmets. Jean would get that fixed.

But in her gut, she felt something.

A shimmer of doubt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are traitors everywhere! Yay!

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

~Radishologist