Chapter 39

Ruby's Point of View

The moment Ruby saw Alex talking to Steve, she knew Alex had a thing for her guy.

Ruby's guy.

And she wasn't gonna let that happen.

Ruby couldn't believe that even though Steve told her he has a girlfriend, she still had the nerve to ask if she could share a house with him.

As if Ruby would let that happen.

Anyway, it was the morning after they saved the prisoners and Steve. Ruby had just gotten her job, which was Housecleaning. She swore she got that at least once a week. This job dispenser was sexist.

Ruby started to the storage building, where they kept the cleaning supplies, when she spotted Alex bothering Steve and Jay.

The boys had iron picks, and the dogs were going with them, so that meant they were going down in the mine. Alex didn't have a job, since she just got there, so she could go with them if she wanted to.

But Ruby wouldn't let that happen.

"Hey Alex! Wanna come help me clean?" she yelled.

Alex hesitated. "Oh...sure!" she finally said, and jogged over to Ruby.

The boys and the dogs went down into the mine. "I've always wanted another girl to have girl chat with," Ruby said sweetly, even though this wasn't true.

"What about the girl with the long red hair?" Alex asked.

"Kirai? We're not really good friends," Ruby said, even though Kirai was one of her best girl friends.

"Okay. So where do we start?"

Ruby and Alex spent the entire day cleaning houses. They talked about girl stuff most of the time.

While they were cleaning the house that Louis' family was staying in for now, the little boy ran up to them.

"Did you get Steve back?" he asked excitedly.

"Yes we did," Ruby answered, ruffling Louis' hair. (Wait Villagers don't have hair...) Ruffling Louis' head...

"Yayyyyyyy!" Louis ran around, hyper.

The girls kept cleaning. At one point, Steve came up in the conversation.

"You're really lucky to have him," Alex said. "He's a great guy."

"Yeah, he really is," Ruby replied. "So you two were best friends?"

Alex's face darkened. "Yes. We were neighbors. Then Mojang came and killed everyone but us. We were on the run for weeks, then they captured me. I was transferred to Jeb's place for some reason."

"Oh. I'm sorry," Ruby said. For some reason the only thing that stuck in her mind was that Alex and Steve were alone together. For weeks.

"Yeah, it's fine," Alex said, waving it away.

They were polishing the windows of Lee and Dee's, the two female Minecraftian twins the same age as Ruby, house. The two girls were probably out doing some other job.

Suddenly, Ruby heard a beep coming from Alex. She looked at her.

Alex looked surprised for a second, then said, "Oh. It's my phone." But she didn't check it.

Ruby nodded, but she couldn't help but remember Alex saying she had no items on her, since Jeb took them all. And she doubted they would let her keep her phone with her in the jail.

Alex looked around nervously as another beep sounded from her "phone".

"I'm gonna go get some food," she said quickly. "I'll be right back."