Baby Steps | Hange x (Depressed) (Anxious) Reader

Prompt- Reader had social anxiety and depression and Hange helps
*this doesn't really include the social part of anxiety and i'm sorry*

⚠️⚠️ DEPICTION OF DESPRESSION -cutting and anorexia-

Hange was very observant, being a scientist practically required that and therefore she was. She investigated every new recruit and made sure they didn't give off any 'bad vibes'. Still, they -Levi, Moblit, and Erwin- let her do her thing and investigate them. She investigated your class too and Erwin found it odd when the next day there was a request to transfer you to the eccentric scientists squad. Still, he trusted the woman and granted permission, still skeptical but keeping it to himself.

When Hange informed you of the change you too were skeptical but overall went without complaint, your usual go-with-the-flow and cause-no-problems attitude coming into play. From there you trained with Hange's squad, spending time with them when required. However, when you were and weren't with them you were alone. Hange hadn't know what she discovered when she picked up something from you. But after watching you for a few weeks her mind came to a conclusion. From there she kept a closer eye, if that was even possible, on you. She tracked how long you were missing and your mannerisms, summing it all up in her mind and finding you one night. She knocked on the door, waiting for you.

"Y/n? It's Hange, I was hoping to talk to you."

"I wasn't aware there was a meeting?" you replied from behind the door.

"Oh there isn't. This is more of a... personal matter you see." Hange chuckled nervously.

"Uh... well... nows not a good time, perhaps in the morning?"

"Why is now not a good time?" She got no response. "Y/n?" Again, no answer. "Y/n you better answer within the next three seconds or i'm breaking the door."

"I'm fine, I promise- in the morning 'kay?"

"Bullshit i'm coming in. Open the door or i'm breaking it down." Hange ordered.

"Alright alright." you sighed, opening the door.

Hange noticed your appearance- disheveled and sluggish.

"What were you doing?"

"Ummm... sleeping."

"Okay?" Hange didn't believe you, and you knew it. "Listen, I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

"About you. Listen Y/n, i've got a feeling that I don't know the whole story. Your not very active and always monotone, you don't thrive like you should. Is it the team? Do you wish to be transferred?"

"No no nothing like that! I just...-"

"Please enlighten me because i'm not sure what to do. You do your duties well but that's it, you don't... live. You don't talk and your always in your room. Why?"

"Hange this isn't really something I wanna tal-"

"I know! I know it's just- i'm worried okay? I want to help but I don't know how if I don't know the problem."

"You shouldn't worry everything is fine-"

"No Y/n! It's not. I care about you and I want to help. Just please let me. I care about you so much and I can't stand to see you go one like this. So please, let me help you."

"Hange, I don't wanna burd-"

"Your not a burden damnit! Your so fucking precious and I love you so much! So let me help!" Both you and her were shocked by the outburst.

"Hange I want to reach out to you. But, are you completely sure?"

"Yes." She didn't miss a beat. "I'm completely sure."

"Alright just don't get mad."

"Mad? Why would I be-"

A horrid gasp left her lips when you pulled up the front of your shirt, your stomach on display. Only it wasn't just smooth skin Hange saw. She saw ribs, your stomach dipped down from your hips and bones, as if your body had never consumed so much as a peanut your whole life. And there were red, angry lines cut across it. Your stomach lined in rows of cuts while some were un-uniformed, making it look even worse. Then she noticed the difference between them. Some were dull and healed, others newer, but what she was even more shocked by were the ones that still oozed.

"Wha- I?"

"I-I didn't want anyone to know." you sniffled.

Hange looked up, now noticing that you were crying. Your face was red and your eyes turning the same, making her emotions even worse.

"I wish you would've told me." she urged, "I could've tried... i-i'm so sorry Y/n."

"Why? You didn't do anything."

"Exactly. I did nothing." she whispered, angry at herself.

"Hange you can't blame yourself for this."

"The hell I can't. I'm sorry Y/n. So sorry." She wept, falling to her knees.

"Hey hey, come on. Get up. There's no need."

"I-is there anything I can do... now?" she stuttered between sniffles.

"Hange you already do enough."

"Hm?"

"Your you. And you make me happy. So don't stop being yourself."

"I'll help you Y/n. I promise." Hange pledged, more tears falling down her cheeks.

"Thank you."

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" she asked, standing up and ignoring the fact she was crying.

"No. I don't usually."

"Well, that changes now. We'll come back to your room and talk, perhaps it'll turn into a therapy session. But don't worry, i know it will take time. Baby steps" She said while walking towards the mess hall with you in tow.

"Thank you Hange. Truly. But I don't really feel... comfortable going to get it. I usually only leave for business."

"That's okay," She said, letting go of your hand. "I can go get the both of us dinner and bring it back. And no need to thank me love, although if you really wanted to you could give me a kiss on the cheek." She smirked.

"Thank you. And baby steps Hange. Baby steps." She chuckled in response, continuing towards the mess hall to get the two of you dinner while wiping her tears.

a/n- y'all i had a welding test yesterday and i burnt my hand like 5 minutes in and i didn't tell the teacher cause i was afraid he'd dock point for unsafety so i suffered for an hour lol. it doesn't hurt anymore tho and i've come up with a good excuse if he asks so i should be good lol.

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH🏳️‍🌈🥳
^
I TECHNICALLY SHOULD'VE SAID IT YESTERDAY BUT OH WELL LOL

this was a request by HangesLovr

your perfect<3