Candles | Armin x (Birthday) Reader

Prompt- It's your birthday

Gender Neutral

Life in the Survey Corps was usually steady, if you forget about the death-defying missions you did as well as the other bumps on the road that occurred every so often. But overall, it was smooth sailing. Now, however, was not. Seeing as death was a constant occurrence in this particular field, birthdays were a rarity, making the celebration even more of a dealing cause it to be extravagant sometimes. So what? You may ask, well there is one problem.

You've never had a birthday that was celebrated.

You hadn't exactly wanted to celebrate it either, making it awkward if you were to celebrate it. You had celebrated Armins birthday before with other people that he was close to such as Jean, Eren, and even Sasha, though I'm pretty sure 90% of her coming was due to the small cake you all shared.

On Armins birthday, everyone congratulated him throughout the day, settling in the mess hall for a brief party, before going back to Armin's room for a few hours before finally going to bed. Armin had loved spending his birthday with you- though you hadn't particularly enjoyed it. You loved Armin and wanted to give him everything so on that day you pushed down your want to be alone and stayed with him, much to his pleasure.

Armin knew about your 'social-meter' as you both called it. People and public places just weren't your exact scene. He knew that. Armin knew and accepted it, to him it was a part of what made you, you. He didn't see it's as anything negative too. That's why the minute the clock struck midnight, signally the start of your birthday, Armin turned the doorknob and sat beside you on your bed - you still being awake given your sleep schedule.

"Happy birthday, love" He spoke sweetly and quietly, as to not wake your fellow soldiers.

He kissed you on your forehead before pulling you into a hug.

"You don't know how scared I was that I'd never get to celebrate this with you." He spoke.

Every word was true too. He often kept himself awake, stressing and paralyzing himself with fear that though you had celebrated his birthday, he could end up celebrating yours alone in a graveyard. The thought haunted him and played on loop, almost endlessly. Though, when he saw you his mind goes bare and all he can think is,

Wow.

You alone pushed his fear away for a time, never failing to save him from himself.

After releasing you from the hug he held your shoulders, looking at you with determination yet softness layered on top.

"I know you don't think it's a good idea but I want you to have a normal birthday as I did. If it's ever too much we can leave though. I don't want to push you but I think you might end up liking it. What'd ya think?"

His voice was convincing. It stayed low and slow, like honey on a warm summer evening.

"Oh um, okay."

To be honest, you weren't that sure that you could make it. Being an introvert surrounded by people like Connie and Sasha, who were extroverts, could be challenging at times. The look on Armin's face made up for it, his eyes and face glowed as he told you how proud he was of you. Armin, being the supportive type, was always there and constantly praised you for even the littlest of things. After talking for a little while longer, Armin climbed into bed with you, mumbling about how 'captain can go to hell- it's your birthday' and falling asleep, you doing the same only moments later.