Prologue

Prologue:

Jin's POV:

Five years old...

"No! Please! I want to stay with mommy!" I begged the man who had a hold of my wrist. "Don't take me from my mommy!" I tried to hold on to mommy's hand, but she just gave me a soft look.

"It's okay Jinnie. It's going to be okay." Mommy kissed my cheek and pried my fingers from hers. "Just go baby."

Shaking my hand, I went to reach for her again. "No mommy. Don't leave me!"

Slapping my cheek, the man then yanked on me harder, dragging me from the room. "Stop it! Let's go." No matter how badly I fought, the man wouldn't stop. He pulled me out of the building and shoved me into a white van.

The floor was roughly carpeted and I scraped my knees as he pushed me in, forcing me to crawl across to the other side. I huddled into a corner, wrapping my arms around my legs and burying my face in my knees. I had just lost my mommy and now I was truly alone.

Eight years old...

"Come on Jin. You're being adopted." Mr. Karu pointed at me and I shakily got to my feet. "The family that chose you has a daughter a few years older than you. You will be living with them from now on."

Mr. Karu's words surprised me. I had been in the shelter for the last two and a half years, ever since I was taken away from my mom. After being taken, I was kept in a dirty facility with very little food. About six months in, there was a raid by some government office. All the hybrids had been sent to a shelter where we were given medical exams, clothing, beds and food. It was a better situation than anything I had ever had.

Over the last couple of years, after I had been cleared for adoption, many people had stopped to look at me, but no one ever chose me. They always wanted cute hybrids, like bunnies and cats, not a marten. I wasn't as cute as the other hybrids, not as cuddly looking, so I was always overlooked. So when Mr. Karu told me I had been chosen, I was shocked that this was finally happening.

Mr. Karu led me into a waiting room where a couple was waiting for me. The man was really tall and had dark hair. The woman was quite a bit shorter. She had short curly hair and gave me a gentle smile when I walked in, her eyes filled with kindness. "Hi Seokjin. My name is Alexis. This is my husband CJ. You are going to be living with us from now on. How does that sound?"

Not sure what to say, I just nodded my head. The man put a hand on my shoulder and I couldn't help but flinching. His eyes turned sad as he looked at Mr. Karu.

"Jin here has not had the best of times with humans. So just be aware that he might be a little weary of you for a short while." Mr. Karu gave me a reassuring smile. "It's going to be okay Jin. I promise you."

Over the last two and a half years, I had grown to trust Mr. Karu. Whatever he said he was going to do, he actually did. It was the first time in my whole life that someone had made promises and kept them. Giving Mr. Karu a nod, I turned back to the human couple. "Hello. My name is Seokjin, but... but I like to be called Jin."

The woman gave me another kind smile and reached out a hand for me, which I hesitantly took. "It's very nice to meet you Jin. I do hope you'll be happy with us. Our daughter, Y/N, is just a few years older than you. She doesn't know you're coming and is going to be very surprised."

The idea of someone close to my age being around me made me happier than I thought it would. At the first facility, I wasn't allowed to speak to any of the other hybrids and at the shelter, they all got adopted so fast that it was hard to make any friends. Maybe this daughter would be my friend.