Chapter 12

Hoseok POV:

The sounds of someone grumbling woke me up, pulling me out of my slumber and a sweet dream I was having of Y/N holding a tiny baby with fuzzy ears and a bushy tail, clearly one of my pups.  I opened my eyes and turned over to see Jungkook, sitting on the edge of his bed, his head in his hands.  Not wanting to see my mate sad, I got up and went over to him, sitting next to him and putting a hand on his shoulder.  "You okay Kookie?"

Jungkook turned to me and I could see the hurt in his eyes, a look of betrayal I didn't understand.  "She... she went to the cemetery this morning with Sehun to bury... to bury the lost hybrid."

I nodded my head, not sure why he was so bummed about it.  "I know.  Y/N told me about it yesterday."  When I had seen Y/N at the sanctuary while visiting Jimin and Taehyung before dinner, she had told me about her plans.  Although I was a little bit envious, I was happy that she had someone to go with her that she trusted, someone who would make sure she was okay.

"She... she didn't want me to go.  Whenever this has happened before, I usually go with her.  I'm... I'm the one that stands next to her and holds her hand, the one she hugs when she cries, the one who... who wipes her tears."  Jungkook sighed, picking at the edge of his t-shirt.  "Why didn't she want me Hobi?"

My heart shattered at the brokenness of his voice, but I had to protect my human mate.  Jungkook had already hurt her enough; I couldn't let him hurt her anymore.  "It's... it's not your place anymore Kookie.  You wanted your space so she gave it to you.  You can't do this to her.  You can't play games with her."

Jungkook's eyes narrowed at my words and he stood up, his arms crossed.  "What do you mean that it's not my place?  She is my mate!" 

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair.  It was too fucking early for this conversation.  "No Kookie.  She's not your mate, not really.  If she was, you wouldn't have hurt her the way you did, the way you still are.  Jin, Joon and I really do care about her and want to see her happy and you... you don't make her happy.  You only make her cry."

Jungkook slumped down on the bed next to me, all the anger gone from his system.  "I didn't... didn't want things to end like this.  When I met Jin and Y/N, I thought the three of us were going to live happily ever after.  I dreamed she was going to fall in love with me and have my pups."  Jungkook leaned forward, his head in his hands.  "Why can't life ever work out like you want it to?"

"It does Kookie, but you have to put the effort into it.  I want a happy life with Y/N.  She protected me and was gentle to me even when other hybrids weren't.  So I'm going to treat her the same way.  She's so easy to love."  It was the first time I mentioned anything about loving Y/N, but I knew it was true.

"What if she leaves you?  What if she decides that a human male would be better?"  Jungkook's voice was filled with worry, worry that Jimin had put into his head.

I ran a hand over my face, unable to hide the frustration.  "Then she leaves me, but I would rather have loved and lost her than to never have loved her at all.  She's worth the risk, worth the potential heartache." 

Jungkook sighed and I knew he was thinking about what I said.  Unfortunately, as much as I cared for my mate, I had to protect my human mate too, the one who was innocent in all of this.  "Do you think she will ever forgive me?"  Jungkook's words were sad and full of grief, the hurt almost palpable. 

Not knowing how to answer, I merely shrugged.  It wasn't a matter of Y/N forgiving him.  She wasn't angry with him and she understood why he was choosing to leave.  She was heartbroken at the idea of losing him because she loved him so much.  Jungkook had stolen a piece of her heart and I knew that no matter how much Jin, Namjoon and I loved her, part of her heart would always belong to him.  I knew from the day I met her that my beautiful mate had a sensitive side, a caring heart that felt too much, loved too much.  How else could someone explain how easily she had taken us all in?  There was no hesitation, no worry about having me live with her and that was before she even knew who she was to me.