Chapter 57

Jin POV:

Y/N and I sat on the floor outside of Sehun's office, listening to the silence on the other side. I could tell from the way she played with her fingers, with the hem of her scrubs, that she was nervous, more nervous than she was letting on. No matter what happened between the two of them, Y/N cared about him, cared about his feelings and his well-being. Cared about how well he was going to survive this whole thing, cared about how to help him get through it all. I know she tried to push her feeling aside, convince herself that she was fine, that it didn't matter, but I knew her better than that.

"I'm scared Jinnie." Y/N's voice was soft, but I could detect the underlying hint of anger, the almost invisible sound of rage that would destroy anything that threatened the love we had built. After the phone call from Yoongi, Y/N had flipped out, swearing that she was going to kill Evie for whatever she had in mind. It was one of the only times I had seen my mate like that and it was just as impressive now as it was then.

I had been only 12 years old and she had been 15 at the time. It was one of the last days of summer before school returned, along with the cooler fall weather. We had been at the park, kicking around a soccer ball. Some guys, ones that she knew from school, had shown up, threatening me and telling me I shouldn't be in places I didn't belong. Y/N had come through like an avenging angel, telling them she was going to annihilate them for scaring me like that. I hadn't thought they would listen to her, but for some reason, the apologies quickly left their mouths and they left with their proverbial tails between their legs. It was that moment right there that I knew I loved her. What kind of love? I wasn't sure, but it was definitely something deep and long lasting. A love I still felt after all this time.

"Y/N? It's been over an hour. Let me call maintenance and have them open the door, okay?" Y/N nodded at my question and I stood up, heading towards the receptionist desk and the woman seated behind it. "Delilah? Can you call maintenance to come down and unlock Sehun's office?"

Delilah's black panda ears flicked, her eyes worried. "Sure." She picked up the phone and made the call while I headed back towards my mate. I was surprised to see Annie, one of Y/N's patients seated on the floor next to my mate, her arm around her shoulders. Annie, a fox hybrid had come in about the same time as Noah. She had been terrified of anyone male and hid in her room. To see her out, just to comfort my mate was heartwarming and I was grateful to the bashful, but kind woman.

Annie looked up at my approach and I could see she wanted to bolt, but her need to take care of Y/N was even greater than her fear. "Nurse Jin? She's going to be okay, right?"

Nodding my head, I tried to reassure the fox. "Yeah. She will be. Thank you for worrying about her."

Ducking her head down, a blush spread across Annie's face. "She helped me so... I want to help her." Annie brushed a hair from Y/N's face when she looked up and I could see the softness in her eyes. "You're going to be okay."

A jingling of keys behind me had me turning to see one of the three day maintenance guys coming down the hallway. He gave me a sad smile as he approached Sehun's office and I made a quick guess that Delilah had given him a quick rundown of the situation. He quickly unlocked the door then stepped back. "Good luck. Hope he's alright."

"Yeah me too." I turned to help Y/N get to her feet, but she was already standing.

Y/N turned to Annie and gave her a quick hug. "Thanks Annie. I'll come see you in a bit, okay?" Annie nodded and with a last worried look at Y/N, headed down the hall to her room.

"Come on little mate. Let's check on our friend." Y/N nodded and I pushed the door open, unsure what to expect on the other side.

The sight in front of me surprised me. Sehun had his head buried in his arms and I could hear the muffled sobs, strangled sounds that shattered my heart. No matter what mistakes he made, no matter how he had spoken to my mate, this was the last thing I wanted to see. I never wanted to have Sehun reduced to this, but I knew I should have been expecting it. It was clear from the beginning that Evie never really wanted Sehun, never wanted him like he wanted her, but he had been so blinded by love, so caught up in his feelings that he couldn't see what we all so.