Chapter 33

Y/N POV:

"How are you feeling today Jay?" The Amur leopard hybrid was sitting up in bed when I entered the room, his pale blue eyes watching my every move as I wandered around the room, prepping for his exam. Ever since he had a little over a week ago, he had been slowly getting better. Jay still preferred to have me in the room when Sehun checked on him, but it was understandable and a request that was easy enough to give in to. I had gotten to know him over the last week and his story, just like all the others, broke my heart in pieces.

Jay nodded. "I'm okay. My leg is hurting a bit, but Dr. Sehun did say it would be normal." When we had gotten Jay's round of X-rays done, we had noticed he had a broken bone in his leg that had never been properly set so it had healed funny. Sehun had done the surgery to correct the issue and now I'm sure Jay was feeling the after effects of that surgery. Rubbing his ear, I couldn't stop the soft smile at the soft rumbling purr that escaped him. He was clearly starving for attention and it didn't cost me anything to give it to him.

As I sat there stroking Jay's ear, I couldn't help but think of the story he told me about his life. Just like Jin, he had been taken away from his family at a young age. He had been purchased by a wealthy family and raised like a house pet. When the youngest son moved out, he had asked Jay to come with him. Jay had agreed and had said it was fine for the first few years. Unfortunately that didn't last. The son had met a girl who he had fallen in love with. The girl, although she seemed nice at first, despised hybrids. The two had eventually moved in together. The son had offered for Jay to stay, but the sad leopard had woken one evening to the girl standing over him with a bat. Afraid he would hurt her, Jay had let the girl beat him. It continued on for over a year until finally Jay had enough. He left in the middle of the night and that was how he ended up in the sanctuary.

Hearing Jay's story made me sick, but I wasn't surprised. Humans abusing hybrids was nothing new since it had been going on for years. It made me realize how my sweet Jin could have had it so much worse. I know saying he was lucky was a stretch, but he was definitely more fortunate than most. My parents treated him like a son, sending him to the best schools, buying him nice clothes, encouraging him to play sports then driving him to practice and cheering at all of his games. As soon as he turned 18, my parents had granted him freedom, the freedom to leave and do whatever he wanted. Jin had accepted the offer of freedom, but had ultimately chosen to stay with my family.

"You okay?" A soft voice broke through my thoughts and I turned to see Jay watching me carefully. I had been so caught up in thinking about my past that I didn't even realize that I had been standing there with a dazed look on my face.

I nodded, wanting to reassure Jay. "Yeah. I'm good. I was just thinking about something." Jay nodded and I could see he wanted to ask questions, but wouldn't. "So from Dr. Sehun's reports, it looks like he wants to keep you another week just to make sure your wound heals correctly."

Jay's eyes grew worried. "Do... do I have to go back to them?" From the tone in his voice, I could tell the idea of returning to his previous owners scared the hell out of him.

Shaking my head, I reached over and squeezed his hand. "Absolutely not. We've already taken the steps necessary to dissolve your ownership. You are legally a free hybrid now. You don't have to go anywhere or do anything that you don't want to do."

His eyes widening in surprise, Jay's mouth dropped open. "I-I'm fr-free?"

"Yes sweetheart. You are. You don't ever have to go back to those wretched people ever again. Once Dr. Sehun releases you, we can help you find a job and a place to live. Help you get your independence. You won't have to rely on anyone else, ever again." The happiness in Jay's eyes as I spoke caused my heart to fill with so much joy, filled me with a sense of relief that he was going to be okay.